IGNORED

Cloth braided heater hose

Patcon

I know JDM parts sells braided hoses, but I would like to take a shot at making my own.

I am having trouble finding cloth braided heater hose. Does anyone know of a source? Also there was a thread a good while back where someone was making hoses at home. I searched but couldn't find it.

14 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I know JDM parts sells braided hoses, but I would like to take a shot at making my own.

I am having trouble finding cloth braided heater hose. Does anyone know of a source? Also there was a thread a good while back where someone was making hoses at home. I searched but couldn't find it.

EDIT: this is JDM.  Sorry Charles! 

is this it?

Edited by siteunseen

I'd seen that one but it is not the one I'm thinking of. The one I was thinking of was heating them in the oven at like 200F with internal wires to set the shape

I don't really want to allocate that kind of money into hoses and if I could find the right material, I could make hoses for Cody's car too which are NLA

5 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I'd seen that one but it is not the one I'm thinking of. The one I was thinking of was heating them in the oven at like 200F with internal wires to set the shape

I don't really want to allocate that kind of money into hoses and if I could find the right material, I could make hoses for Cody's car too which are NLA

here you go...

5 minutes ago, Zup said:

https://newcoproducts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=307

These are braided hoses with internal wire.

Don't know if it is "shape to fit" or not.

They look like the jacket might be nylon. Looks like it might be too shiny.

I have found some material that might work for vent hoses, another possibility for booster hose but nothing yet for the heater hose or radiator hoses. If I were going to buy a hose it would be the radiator hoses. VW's, old MB's, old Jags, BMW's and Ferrari's all used cloth covered hoses. So there are some options for sources but many like the Ferrari links are unreasonably priced

I spent a gross amount of money on all braided hoses on my car.  Porsche also used braided hose like this here:  https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/N0203711-MFG21.aspx

Might be tricky to find one for coolant for obvious reasons...side note; I somehow managed to nick one of the float bowl soft rubber hoses on my front SU and drip, drip, drip gas right onto a hot header, oops.  Anyway I now have pretty cool braided hose from a Porsche on both SU's as I had to wait a bit on the Datsun replacement hoses.  

• Like 1

I don't understand why you want to go to all the trouble when there is a source for very nice correct reproduction braided hoses at JDM. Also, given the nature of the Z car hobby, tiny almost orphan, companies that stick their necks out like JDM and Banzai deserve the support of the hobby. Important to remember, Nissan didn't discontinue parts out of meanness. They did and do it because nobody buys them. Look what happened so very recently to factory wiper blades. Just one man's opinion. 

11 hours ago, zspert said:

I don't understand why you want to go to all the trouble when there is a source for very nice correct reproduction braided hoses at JDM. Also, given the nature of the Z car hobby, tiny almost orphan, companies that stick their necks out like JDM and Banzai deserve the support of the hobby. Important to remember, Nissan didn't discontinue parts out of meanness. They did and do it because nobody buys them. Look what happened so very recently to factory wiper blades. Just one man's opinion. 

I totally agree and I appreciate your effort in providing parts like this at Banzai.

I also have to balance parts I need versus available cash to purchase them. Also being able to reproduce some of these thngs allows me to make hoses or parts for other projects, not just Z projects, but projects where these parts are not even available. It's a balancing act for me. A limited amount of money needs to be spread over the car. I need bumpers and don't want to try to make them. I also need hoses, but I "might" could make them if I have the raw material. The reproduction hoses actually cost more than the bumpers. When I need a windshield washer bag or a data tag, I would call you because it doesn't make sense to try to make one. Unfortunately these limitations is the world I live in

• Like 2