IGNORED

1971 240Z Shifter Boot - Clips or Ring?

HappyZ

I have 1971 240Z (7/71) and the shifter boot (inner and outer) is completely missing.  I see some videos that show the boot ring (retainer), but I'm thinking there may not be a ring for the Series 1.

Am I correct that I only use clips to secure the outer boot cover?

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by wadelester
more clear

That is correct. Do you have them. I probably have some extras. The innerboot is not screwed to console until the series II console.
Post a picture of the console to get confirmation

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Is that white material original?  I doesn't look like it.  It's a tough plastic material I think they added instead of an inner and outer boot.

To make things right, I believe I'll need the inner boot, outer boot, six clips, and a new leather boot.  Are the clips used to secure just the rubber outer boot, or does it secure the rubber and leather to the frame.  Any pics you may have are appreciated.

1 hour ago, wadelester said:

Is that white material original?  I doesn't look like it.  It's a tough plastic material I think they added instead of an inner and outer boot.

To make things right, I believe I'll need the inner boot, outer boot, six clips, and a new leather boot.  Are the clips used to secure just the rubber outer boot, or does it secure the rubber and leather to the frame.  Any pics you may have are appreciated.

The "leather" boot attached to the shift lever attaches to the opening in the center console with clips.  Lacking those clips, you can use small paper clips like these:

https://tinyurl.com/yxcl27rc

They're hidden, so it won't matter to anyone but you.  When you upgrade to a 5 speed, the later style inner rubber shifter boot is bolted to the floor with a metal frame.

Dennis

The pic may not help as I don't have the center console removed yet.  Interestingly, I thing the original boot is still on the car, but it's in bad shape.IMG_1527.thumb.jpeg.bf33e3712a34539c9e708a172fdf2dba.jpeg

I have never seen material that looks Like that on the many early cars I have worked I on. My first 71 the outer shift boot was vinyl and did have a off white netting attached on the back side. You can purchase both vinyl or leather reproductions. Attaching it is pretty straight forward.

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a 240 10/70 build date. I wanted to replace the shifter bushings and boots. Ordered parts prior to opening it up, (mistake I know). What I found is that nothing I ordered fits...  I’m a newby but looking for advice on where to order the correct parts and how to search for them. Thanks

D2AC8619-7605-4F1D-83A5-F145DC18150E.jpeg

F68DBF1F-0D17-4DF6-9403-E318822B4817.jpeg

4E07369C-BA98-4C9B-8D7C-B0072F2AE3F5.jpeg

Here are the bushings you need for the “A” type transmission that you have. Search for Datsun 510, there more people supplying them for their “A” type trans that is the same (shifter mount at least) as the early Z trans. Found these on ebay.

A42BC5A7-4C5F-4CC2-9122-C0322627D331.jpeg

This is the shift boot you need, that fits the trans tunnel. It has a groove that fits on the trans tunnel cut out.

418AA88D-1B0A-4869-A9E5-75361C301E1B.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

Thanks for the prompt responses!  @siteunseen, that looks like a different set up than the “dog leg” shifter that’s in my car.  The pin in mine is smaller and doesn’t seem to have enough room for bushings at all.  Thinking I’ve got an older transmission but I am new to this scene and have a lot to learn. 
@zKars as it turns out my shifter boot is in really good condition, it is just like the one in the pics you sent. Does the bushing in the top pic belong on the bottom of the shifter?  Mine has a hard plastic bushing just above the lock nut. My nomenclature is terrible, I’ll get the manual so I can better describe what I’m talking about.   I took it all apart to install the parts , got disappointed when NOTHING matched and put it back together so I can’t get any better pics at the moment. 

You can get the bushings a Z car Source

https://zcarsource.com/shifter-bushing-240z-70-71-new

do not buy the metal ones on EBay you will hate the feeling . Be careful when you tighten the nut the chrome on on the shifter will mar easily.. the lever should be straight not dog legged. Let me know if you need photos