IGNORED

1976 280Z GM HEI Ignition upgrade

wheee!

Selling my freshly modified 1976 electronic ignition box that has been discreetly modified with a modern GM HEI ignition system.

Since I am going Haltech and Coil on Plug, this system is no longer needed.

I built this from plans available in this forum using a GM style HEI ignition. Everything is tucked inside the case and looks stock for the purists!

Asking $100 plus shipping.

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6620.jpg

IMG_6621.jpg

• Like 1

Looks familiar. Neat workmanship.

Btw. It will work on all of the 280Z TIU systems up to Aug 77, it only needs one pickup. After Aug 77 they changed the terminals to a plug connector.

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

I've been poking around looking at ignition system options recently and now know just enough to be dangerous and say stuff like:

So one of the big advantages of using that GM HEI module is that you can remove the ballast resistor which results in a hotter spark, right?

That is correct. Hotter spark, more reliable spark, less complicated circuit. The board I removed was full of resistors and old discrete components.
IMG_6314.jpg

The heat sink plate is shown to the right. The holes locate the GM part and then bolt to the case. Heat sink paste in between.

55 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I've been poking around looking at ignition system options recently and now know just enough to be dangerous and say stuff like:

So one of the big advantages of using that GM HEI module is that you can remove the ballast resistor which results in a hotter spark, right?

Yes, I left everything (Ballast resistor) intact and bridged it over so I could use a 12v coil when I did mine. 

The coil in the photo was the old resistor coil, whicjh I changed shortly after the photo.

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

Edited by EuroDat