IGNORED

history of ownership and service records

kully 560

12 minutes ago, hiyabrad said:

You would think that Nissan dealers kept track of car sales and service by Vin number over the years

Not much kept on computers at dealerships during our Z's production era.  Generally, paper records only and they get tossed when the file reaches critical mass or the dealership closes or moves to a new location.

Dennis

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psdenno said:

Not much kept on computers at dealerships during our Z's production era.  Generally, paper records only and they get tossed when the file reaches critical mass or the dealership closes or moves to a new location.

Dennis

Computerized record keeping, surely you jest... I don't recall seeing terminals back in the 70's, but did see fiche readers at the dealer for parts catalogs I bought my 73 from. Even credit card receipts back in the day were done using a carbon paper form on a flatbed card imprinter.

https://www.amazon.com/Data-Systems-Manual-Imprinter-515-101-002/dp/B008UQ81S4

I think the original copy was then sent to a credit card processing facility that used an OCR (Optical character reader) to input the form on a mainframe computer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Computerized record keeping, surely you jest...

I jest not. (And don't call me Surely)LOL  

I know of one manufacturer that kept computer data of dealer new car sales, so it was probably common in the industry at the "mothership" level.  

The instance I'm aware of was a computerized list compiled by Porsche to indicate the sale of every Porsche 914-6 sold in North America.  The computer generated listing indicates car VIN, sale date, and name/location of dealership beginning with the 1970 model year.  A friend who worked for Porsche at the dealership and corporate levels for many years has a copy and provides data to 914-6 owners upon request. 

Dennis

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psdenno said:

I jest not. (And don't call me Surely)LOL  

I know of one manufacturer that kept computer data of dealer new car sales, so it was probably common in the industry at the "mothership" level. 

@psdenno - Classic Airplane reference... Love it...  I gotta agree with you on this - computerized information was used but just not shared (publicly) at the time of the manufacture of our beloved Z's.

As an observer. and ONLY an observer, I would like to bring the following up as perhaps a continuing discussion...

First, a random snip from the Z Car Microfiche... A few notes of OBSERVANCE... It appears as though the microfiche was produced on a TEMPLATE.  An observer may note that the left side has been 'pre-printed', and the drawing, was inserted into a 'field' after the computer generated part numbers / descriptions  were generated..

MICRO-1.JPG

That being said, it appears as though the 'drawing field' was left blank after the microfiche was printed (on paper, prior to scanning/archiving to microfilm) and the parts drawing was drawn by hand by the artists of the day. Reason I say that, is that there doesn't appear to be any evidence of 'mylar sticky back', which would show a 'shadow' in any photocopy. Note that on the left side, the 'master index' BLURRING' vs. the part index CLARITY.  Clarity and Blurring are used not as a definite, but more as a relative reference.

MICRO-2.JPG