IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

9 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

Woohoo!  Driver side welded in.  Straight and true....9544DF76-6C26-4C8E-A5D5-E39051190D6C.jpeg

2E65F4E5-41FC-4A56-9BBD-D0169DC32EE2.jpeg

So it is spot welded in for now.  I will finish the seam welding and cleanup on the rotisserie once it is off the jig.  Welding out of position SUCKS!!!

Time to start in on the bad side ....

Nice firewall LOL

97355EA1-D4F6-45B2-AAD6-E4EBDF247369.jpeg

Rail cut out easily enough though ....

514EDE06-EA0B-4B8C-A61B-5193B1B8DEA6.jpeg

Check out all the rust that came out of this rail ....

24000D87-24AB-44B0-8F2F-1F725E9F1754.jpeg

9B1763E0-F046-4EE5-9DA2-0C799841A10F.jpeg 

+1 for the jig.  Glad I didn’t try to put that directly on to the rotisserie ....

The really scary part is that use to be metal and the frame is directly weaker for that lack of metal. Plenty of Z's out there with similar unseen weakness.

There are a couple of areas in those pictures that are especially hard to repair. The compound curves in the foot well and the compound curve area under the battery tray. Will be interesting to see how you approach those. You obviously have good metal skills.

You might consider buying the ready-made battery-area repair panel that Z-Car Depot offers...

https://zcardepot.com/collections/sheet-metal/products/battery-tray-area-sheet-metal-patch-240z-260z-280z

On sale right now at US$100, it's attractively priced...  although you'll probably be out of pocket by Cdn $300 by the time it arrives in Ft. Saskatchewan.

If nothing else, though, the photos on their website might give you some thoughts on how to go about making your own.

And, before I forget:

I've read in the past that the contours of the inner fender sheet metal in the battery tray area can be nicely matched by carving a particular section out of a front fender (if you happen to have a spare lying around that you don't need).  Maybe someone else can comment with more detail.

Edited by Namerow
additional comment added

40 minutes ago, Namerow said:

You might consider buying the ready-made battery-area repair panel that Z-Car Depot offers...

https://zcardepot.com/collections/sheet-metal/products/battery-tray-area-sheet-metal-patch-240z-260z-280z

On sale right now at US$100, it's attractively priced...  although you'll probably be out of pocket by Cdn $300 by the time it arrives in Ft. Saskatchewan.

Ooooooooo! It's coming to my location?! LOL

@ConVerTT is located 3 hours south of me. Where the sunshine is....

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

The really scary part is that use to be metal and the frame is directly weaker for that lack of metal. Plenty of Z's out there with similar unseen weakness.

There are a couple of areas in those pictures that are especially hard to repair. The compound curves in the foot well and the compound curve area under the battery tray. Will be interesting to see how you approach those. You obviously have good metal skills.

Thanks Patcon.  Yeah I knew the rail was bad, but holy crap Batman - I was surprised HOW bad ?

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

If nothing else, though, the photos on their website might give you some thoughts on how to go about making your own.

And, before I forget:

I've read in the past that the contours of the inner fender sheet metal in the battery tray area can be nicely matched by carving a particular section out of a front fender (if you happen to have a spare lying around that you don't need).  Maybe someone else can comment with more detail.

Buying the pre-made is definitely plan B.  I am going to give it a shot after I figure out the firewall.  What’s the worst that can happen ??

• Like 1