IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

14 hours ago, Namerow said:

Paint stripper for undercoating.  That's a worthwhile discovery.  Certainly a lot safer than using a torch and probably more effective than a heat gun. Undercoating removal is a miserable-but-unavoidable job, so anything that eases the pain and improves the result is worth knowing about. 

I wonder whether the stripper approach will work with the applied-with-a-brush-from-a-can parts store-type undercoating that was inflicted on so many cars from this era by their owners.  That stuff is just diluted asphalt.

I'm impressed by how well you managed to contain all of the paint and undercoating gunk/debris.  Almost makes the job look easy (although I'm pretty sure it wasn't).

Thanks!

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I agree it certainly is the fastest but it also comes with the danger of the stripping chemicals hiding in the seams and crevises  then seeping out after the new paint is on causing breaks in the paint, then the rust starts all over again (ask me how I know).  A small fine wire brush and an air gun along the seams helps a lot removing the last of the stripper.

Looking good,  I really like your plastic sheet trough under the work area, I'm going to try that next time.

Agree 1000 percent!  There is a little bit trapped along the shock tower seam.  Going to have to work that out.

Suggest you lay a paper towel soaked with Ospho (or some other watery phosphor-type rust neutralizer) along the seam overnight, then dry things out with a heat gun. The wire brush treatment will only remove the rust from the surfaces you can see.  The rust neutralizer will creep into the seam, where it can do its thing on the broader surfaces that you'll never reach with the wire brush (or primer, or paint).

41 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Suggest you lay a paper towel soaked with Ospho (or some other watery phosphor-type rust neutralizer) along the seam overnight, then dry things out with a heat gun. The wire brush treatment will only remove the rust from the surfaces you can see.  The rust neutralizer will creep into the seam, where it can do its thing on the broader surfaces that you'll never reach with the wire brush (or primer, or paint).

Very good idea!  Will try that!

16 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

I forgot how slowly Por15 dries

POR-15 is a moisture cure polyurethane coating. It doesn't "dry" in the common sense, It "cures" with combination from humidity moisture in the air.

If it's cold and very low humidity (like it may be in Canada at this time), it would certainly slow the cure. It'll be ready by spring. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

@Captain Obviousyou are extra funny today ?

I think it's been long enough, Mark if it hasn't send me a fart in jar, but Mark thought you were the actor on those hotel.com commercials. That's funny to me because I'd guess the same. :love:

https://nutmegcreative.com/blog/meet-captain-obvious-brandon-moynihan/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

POR-15 is a moisture cure polyurethane coating. It doesn't "dry" in the common sense, It "cures" with combination from humidity moisture in the air.

If it's cold and very low humidity (like it may be in Canada at this time), it would certainly slow the cure. It'll be ready by spring. LOL

Good point Captain.  It is minus 30 outside this week.  Of course it is temperature and humidity controlled inside - balmy 67 degrees in the shop ????

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I think it's been long enough, Mark if it hasn't send me a fart in jar, but Mark thought you were the actor on those hotel.com commercials. That's funny to me because I'd guess the same. :love:

ROFL  I've been asked what I look like. My answer is Captain Obvious.

I bet he makes more than me...

Woohoo!  Driver side welded in.  Straight and true....9544DF76-6C26-4C8E-A5D5-E39051190D6C.jpeg

2E65F4E5-41FC-4A56-9BBD-D0169DC32EE2.jpeg

So it is spot welded in for now.  I will finish the seam welding and cleanup on the rotisserie once it is off the jig.  Welding out of position SUCKS!!!

Time to start in on the bad side ....

Nice firewall LOL

97355EA1-D4F6-45B2-AAD6-E4EBDF247369.jpeg

Rail cut out easily enough though ....

514EDE06-EA0B-4B8C-A61B-5193B1B8DEA6.jpeg

Check out all the rust that came out of this rail ....

24000D87-24AB-44B0-8F2F-1F725E9F1754.jpeg

9B1763E0-F046-4EE5-9DA2-0C799841A10F.jpeg 

+1 for the jig.  Glad I didn’t try to put that directly on to the rotisserie ....

• Like 2