IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

5 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

$2.88 each - yikes!

Thanks.  That was at the low end of what I was expecting, so learning that they're available for only $0.56 is good news.  Out of curiosity, I checked out the Eastwood Tools site.  They offer a kit consisting of 10 clecos, 2 side clamps, and one set of pliers for $44.  PAT's price (not even bundled as a kit) comes out to just $16.00 so this is definitely a supplier that I'll be adding to my 'preferred' list.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Thanks.  That was at the low end of what I was expecting, so learning that they're available for only $0.56 is good news.  Out of curiosity, I checked out the Eastwood Tools site.  They offer a kit consisting of 10 clecos, 2 side clamps, and one set of pliers for $44.  PAT's price (not even bundled as a kit) comes out to just $16.00 so this is definitely a supplier that I'll be adding to my 'preferred' list.

Definitely - 56 cents is at the low end of prices where I see them on sale.  Definitely worth it.

So the holes in the rad support aren’t really a match to a typical dimple die.   I did some testing with some round tube sections and came up with some cheap home made dies to punch and roll the holes....

7B2BDB8A-1D1C-4BDC-9C20-D95BEFF76633.jpeg

Testing ...

CB34A576-6C4C-4486-9DEB-DE18080D16C0.jpeg

Success ...

4DE54762-A55E-4955-998F-ABEC1E09CD46.jpeg

EB637505-7559-44BC-8985-284DE5F661C3.jpeg

34BCEC89-3252-4481-B041-434B903E77CE.jpeg

That’ll work.  I am going to try to make an oval set as well for the lower section of the rad support.  I am not sure an oval will work, but curious to find out ...

aside:  I was amazed at how easily a 1/8” wall tube will punch a hole through 20 gauge sheet...something to think about if you are planning on reinforcing your front frame rails by inserting a section of 2” square tubing ....

Edited by ConVerTT
Typos
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

I did some testing with some round tube sections and came up with some cheap home made dies to punch and roll the holes....

Your hand-scribbled notes in photo #1 say:  2" hole  >>  2-1/2" male + 2-3/4" female.  So, a few questions:

• It looks like the 2-3/4" die has a smaller wall thickness (1/16"?) than the other dies (1/8"?), so am I correct in assuming that this pair (2-3/4" with 2-1/2") was used -- after the 2" hole had been cut -- to roll the edge?
  • What are the diameters for the the other two pairs of dies?
  • It would seem that you would need only one additional die set (to punch the 2"hole).  So why are there two other die sets?
  • For the punch set, did you put any kind of bevel on the cutting surface of the male (or female) die?
  • For the roll set, did you put any kind of contour on the contact surface of the male (or female) die?
  • It appears that the straps welded across one face of each die were used so that a centering hole could be drilled.  Even so, how did you centre the male die over the female die in the press?

Haha - good questions!

So yes the hand-written note was the successful formula that resulted in the correct form with the least distortion of the surrounding panel.  Small holes can be punched without drilling but the larger holes worked better (less deformation of the surrounding panel) by drilling the hole first.

The hole in the strap is to slide a pin through to line up both sides.  After that the press will “tell” you if you are out of alignment as you will see the metal start to deform unevenly, or the die will start to tip to one side.

All the dies are 1/8” wall thickness except one that is a little thicker because the metal supplier didn’t  have 1/8” in  stock.  I didn’t shape the edges of the male or female dies.  The gap between the dies causes the metal to stretch in the gently curved profile.

There are actually 3 different size holes in the rad support (4 actually but I am only doing 3), so 6 (3 sets) of dies in total.

Whew!  Hope this helps ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got all the major pieces fabbed up for the rad support.  Pretty tricky piece but almost there ....

6F7E5CAE-4119-4BD7-95B5-D49A722BA617.jpeg

F26F23AA-D77B-4F86-B125-F96A8234FBD8.jpeg

2EF4C664-88D0-4099-9539-2815484AB485.jpeg

Punching oval holes was hit and miss so I need to decide what to do with the two bottom holes? I might just punch round ones and then drill / dimple die the 6 holes on the back of the lower rad support...

Hope to wrap this up on the weekend ....

• Like 1