IGNORED

HLS30-00762 popped up, pretty banged up

calvinhg

762 isn't all that low but it's a bonified early car with that rare, OMG rare, gas door knob.  This picture is the hallmark of provenance.  The description says that the engine is "sized".  What does that mean?  Re-bore oversize or seized?  I think you would have to buy this for half the asking price to make a restoration work $.  The rear quarters are going to be expensive.  Door, floors, front fenders...  I would leave the CB antenna on the roof.  Ha!  Provnance!  Love the back-up light.

CL-HLS30--762_c.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like it's seen a lot of snow and salt in its day (viz: remnants of a ski rack on the roof, super-size back-up light, along with what looks like it might have been a mount for a roof-mounted spotlight).  Previous owner appears to have been 'active' -- pilot, skier, rallye competitor.

Those fabric-covered hoses in the engine compartment look frighteningly original! 

And the dash looks uncracked.  I wonder how long it's been off the road?

My guesstimate:

Buy it for $3K.  DIY restore, plus bodyshop prime/prep/paint, plus new wheels/tires: another $15K - $25K.  End value for re-sale:  $20K for a low-ball restoration, $30K for a 'good' restoration.  As 26th Z says, it's not a low enough VIN to carry much of a premium value.  I suspect you have to get down into the double-digits for that to happen.

I agree with 26th. I think done reasonably well the car is 50k or so. I would say any sub 2000# cars are considered really early cars. That might even apply to 5000# and below. the first 500# cars are a breed apart and are already in the 90-100k value area.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Patcon said:

the first 500# cars are a breed apart and are already in the 90-100k value area.

It would be cool to see those transactions.  I've seen it suggested they happen in secret, but without seeing one it's hard to know what really happens out there.  Of course, value, as is often said, is what a person pays.  The only person that can really assign a value is somebody who buys one.

Sounds like you're saying that a sub-500 VIN adds about a 50% premium.  Don't know, just would like to see a real $100,000 transaction documented.  It would mean more, no offense.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1970-datsun-240z

image.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...