IGNORED

Patton Machine Fuel Injection

SteveJ

I re-routed the fuel rail today, so it is protected by the heat shield.

20190921_190429.jpg

I took it for a test drive this evening. It behaves better, but there are times that it feels like it it not firing the injectors (enough). It will feel dead (unresponsive to throttle input), but it would kick back to life.

I plan on trying to datalog some driving tomorrow to see if that will reveal more information on what is going on.

I pulled the plugs. They look a little dark to me, but I am thinking about installing new plugs before testing tomorrow.

6-56-5.jpg

4-34-3.jpg

2-12-1.jpg

Okay, so new plugs and ignition module...Not much changed. Got home - plugs looked perfect.

So when all else fails, plug in the computer. (I'm liking that aspect of this swap.) Once I got the USB configured properly (and remembering how to configure things in Windows 7), I tried to start the car...Nothing. Oh yeah, reconnect the plug wires.

Start the car and watch the data come in...Oops, configured for the wrong ECU. Set the program for the right ECU and watch the data. Coolant temperature seems spot-on. O2? I'm not sure, yet. TPS...Hmm, it seems way too high. Yep, there's the code.

So, I'm going to check my TPS settings against the Patton Machine website and test some more.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Like 1

So I believe the TPS does not rotate in the proper direction for the Z. I had my suspicions, and the data confirmed it. I was trying to figure out whether to order a clockwise or counterclockwise TPS, and I finally noticed the tiny letters on my current TPS: CW. I have a CCW TPS on order now.

• Like 2

If you could use the correct rotation on your TPS, that would be greeaaaattt.

The new TPS arrived today. First thing after unwrapping was to make sure it rotated in the correct direction. It was a snug fit, and it rotated in the proper direction.

I re-installed the throttle shaft and attached the new TPS. I fired up the computer and got a good rough adjustment. I fired up the car, and it was no longer running rich. It was time to take it for a drive. The car runs more quietly with the fuel injection (an observation I attribute to the lack of tuning skill on the SUs, especially compared to someone like @240260280). Throttle response was smooth. 

There is still tuning and datalogging to do, but I do have a fully functional 260Z again.

• Like 2