Marty Rogan

Finally Got My Garage Mahal!!!

26 minutes ago, wheee! said:

I love big garages...

f5b00a0b12619d32b266c3f384ea2334.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your Z looks pretty lonely in there!  It needs a couple of stable mates to keep it company.

Your Z looks pretty lonely in there!  It needs a couple of stable mates to keep it company.

Well, when the garage gets it’s 4 post lift upgrade, there will be a 76 280 and a 66 Roadster in there with the 10 370.

And a Lincoln MKX and a Veloster Turbo! The Lincoln Mark LT has to stay outside though...!

Just now, wheee! said:

Well, when the garage gets it’s 4 post lift upgrade, there will be a 76 280 and a 66 Roadster in there with the 10 370.
    And a Lincoln MKX, Veloster Turbo! The Lincoln Mark LT has to stay outside though...!

Well that will take care of that.  Nice little fleet you have there.

It’s a start... this damn carowner virus is expensive...

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

@wheee,

Love the Z in the picture, but not sure I'd park mine there.  That shelf, laden with paint cans, has a distinct sag in the middle, and appears to have a bit of a downhill tilt.  Or am I just paranoid about what can happen to nice cars?  

@wheee,
    Love the Z in the picture, but not sure I'd park mine there.  That shelf, laden with paint cans, has a distinct sag in the middle, and appears to have a bit of a downhill tilt.  Or am I just paranoid about what can happen to nice cars?  

That was the day we moved in. That shelf is long gone....

Finally!!!  We have begun the new Mancave!  Should have a slab Monday.

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Finally!!!  We have begun the new Mancave!  Should have a slab Monday.

IMG_0270.JPG

Hey, congrats on getting started!  What are your plans?  How big are you going?  Are you building in added ceiling height for a lift?  Any other goodies in the plan?

Well, with all this extra time at home, I was able to get the barn organized.  I bought some warehouse pallet racking shelves.  They are super strong, rated at 1,800 lbs per shelf.  I was able to get all of my spare parts stored on them.  My 2 spare engines are on rollers and shoved under the bottom shelf.  My other storage cabinets are in the other corner.  I finally have a good amount of space opened up in the middle to actually do some work in there..

My HVAC guys had double hernia surgery, so the heater is on hold at at least May.

Next up, I need to build a work bench. I will have to put some thought in to that.  I saw a You tube video that shows you how to build one, which looked pretty nice. I'll have to check out some other options.

Storage shelf.jpg

South side with cabinets.jpg

• Like 1

Poured the bond beam today.  Roof trusses start tomorrow.  First pic looking out the south wall.  Second pic is looking east along the north wall.  I built a little wing wall between the house and the garage to define the landscaping between the two buildings.

The garage is 22' x 30 with two 9' overhead doors.  The walls are 8'-8" tall with sloped ceiling trusses to a height of 10'-6" in the middle.  I should be able to get a lift in.  The slab is thickened and reinforced for a lift.  Foam insulated attic with a drywall finish ceiling.  I'll paint the block walls.  I paid special attention to a completely flat, dead level slab.  It is really nice.  It will be finished in epoxy.

IMG_0318sm.jpg

IMG_0319sm.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

2 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Sweet shop and nice old Bondurant Mustang!

Thanks.  Old #74 is a real hoot to drive at the track. It is hiding a Coyote motor, built to Illumintor specs.

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Poured the bond beam today.  Roof trusses start tomorrow.  First pic looking out the south wall.  Second pic is looking east along the north wall.  I built a little wing wall between the house and the garage to define the landscaping between the two buildings.

The garage is 22' x 30 with two 9' overhead doors.  The walls are 8'-8" tall with sloped ceiling trusses to a height of 10'-6" in the middle.  I should be able to get a lift in.  The slab is thickened and reinforced for a lift.  Foam insulated attic with a drywall finish ceiling.  I'll paint the block walls.  I paid special attention to a completely flat, dead level slab.  It is really nice.  It will be finished in epoxy.

IMG_0318sm.jpg

IMG_0319sm.jpg

Looks like you are making good progress.  You are doing a lot of the right stuff.  High ceilings are a must have.

I can't figure out why the plywood clips are so different on the backside vs front. Is that by design or just not nailed down yet? Looks great, robust like a storm shelter too. #26 deserves it. 

Thanks!  The roof deck is 5/8" plywood on trusses at 24" on center.  The gable ends have a 12" overhang but I have 30" overhangs over the doors.  The plywood deck is nailed with 10d nails at 4" on center and the clips are mid span.  The clips are 16ga steel stamped into an H shape with the wide flange pointed down (if you lay the plywood out from fascia up to the ridge).  The clips also space the long edges of the plywood so that they won't bow over time.  They are not fasteners; they just block the plywood edges.

This is going to have a galvanized metal roof and I didn't need to use 5/8" plywood.  My design wind speed is 160 mph and even though I don't have any uplift greater than 1000 pounds, I opted for the thicker plywood, nail spacing, and truss straps that wrap over the top of the truss.  My insurance will be lower, and, as you say, the cars will be safer.  I also opted for impact rated windows and doors for the same reason.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.  That's a well thought out then built garage for sure.  You'll enjoy that for many years.

Looking back at your photo it must be some kind of reflection that I thought was a gap.  Farther down the gap isn't there.

image.png

It's just the photograph.  There is a consistent gap between the plywood sheets.