IGNORED

Spanners?

24OZ

My father who is a british car fanatic, told me many years ago that imperial and SAE are also different though very close (different standards), he had a seperate set of imperial wrenches, along w/SAE & metric for his MG'S, Ill ask him about this next time I talk to him within the week.

Bambi thank for explaining "spanners"

Darylick

I don't know how people use the imperial system. It seems so messy with all the fractions. But I guess I'm saying that because I've not needed to rely on it.

Anyhoo, I've got a conversion program that will convert any unit into any compatible unit. It's the daddy of all converters in a compact package. It also lets you add custom units. I've found it to be very valuable and want to share it with anyone who is interested.

So if you are, just leave your email here or pm me and I will forward it to you. (165 Kb zipped)

Cheers

The only close things between imperial and metric is the 7/8 inch if my memory serves me right. Works out to be 24.1mm

Best off buying a set of metrics.

Second choice would be the Adjustable Spanner that Bambi suggested and a strong pair of vice grips - that will fix the bugger:love:

Here in VA we call an "adjustable spanner" a "West Virginia socket set".......

Only thing they are good for is square heads on drain plugs and dire emergencies......

For the line connection on the slave cylinder, if 17mm is too big and 5/8 is too small, use an 11/16. I've had hoses that have had different sized ends on them, even when using the aftermarket steel braided hoses... It's gotta be one of the three....:ermm:

BTW, I just went out and checked all the steel braided hoses on the two cars and the ones in the drawers... all are 11/16.:geek:

Keith, I just PM'd you prior to reading this...

I have already tried an 11/16 and it didnt fit.. cant remeber if it was too small or too big (I'd have to recheck)... kinda strange though if it is supposed to be an 11/16 as all nuts on a Z are supposed to be Metric???

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Here in VA we call an "adjustable spanner" a "West Virginia socket set".......

Reminds me of the roofer who asked his buddy for a screwdriver. The co-worker handed him a hammer. After receiving a puzzled look he said "Oh, you wanted a screw remover"

If I would have read Rob's a little more clearly, about Whitworth spanners, I wouldn't have thought of it as a brand name, but an actual standard sometime the australian terms confuse me.

Whitworth is what I had confused with imperial:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

just wan't to publicly acknowledge my ignorance

Darylick

Yep there were 2 imperial standards. SAE and Whitworth. My dad's and ex mechanic from england, so i have access to all sorts sockets and spanners.

I think some imperial bolts were used on zeds on componants that were licenced copies of other designs. I dont remember what exactly, maybe brake calipers or carbies. I think I read it in an Alan post so it must be true.

Latest update:

I never managed to get the bolt off the end of the hose that goes into the slave cylinder but I have managed to round it off!

Now I am trying to diconnect the hose from the other end, i.e the end were the rubber hose goes into a metal tube towards the master cylinder....

Now here's a strange thing, i tried to find a spanner to undo the metal pipe's bolt, again.... no spanners fit... I did find one spanner in my tool kit whuch was a perfect fit, this spanner is labelled NISSAN and one end has 10 on it and the other end has 8. It was the 10 that fitted, however this is not 10mm as i tried a 10mm spanner not one labelled NISSAN and its a tad too small... It looks like these bolts are special Nissan bolts which can only be undone with a NISSAN spanner...

Anyone else noticed this?

Hi George:

On my car the fitting on the clutch and brake pipes are 10MM. I use Sears Craftsman wrenches (regular and Flare nut wrenches) and they fit just fine.

Not sure why they would be different in the UK. Are the fittings un undamaged condition? If they have been damaged by previous attempts to remove them, they will often "not fit" the standard wrenches due to the deformation of the fitting.

I always use penetrating oil (Kroil is my favorite, but I have used other brands) when trying to loosen these fittings as it is very easy to damage them.