IGNORED

country of origin of HLS30-00957

M3333hp

Can anyone help me find out the country of first sale of HLS30-00957 ?

I bought this car some years ago in British Columbia, Canada, and am in the middle of a restoration from the shell - up, with a full repaint in the original 918 orange.

I was told by the seller that it was originally an Oregon car, but there is no documentation of that. I have tried to go through the Oregon DMV but they require the name of the person that it was registered to way back when, and I do not have that info. They cannot search on the VIN, since there was no computerized database of car registrations back in the 1970s.

I have written to Nissan in Japan and received back a nice letter from their Customer Communication Center saying that they do not have records of where any of their cars were originally sold back then.....but thanks for buying Nissan products.

I have also called the Nissan Consumer Affairs people in Franklin, TN (a bunch of times!) but I can only get a receptionist or people who have no idea how to find the answer to my question where the car was originally sold. 

I know there was a Nissan center in California not too long ago that might have the info, but that seems to have been moved to TN. The worst outcome would be that the records went into the dumpster in the move.

Now I'm asking you guys, and next it will be Carl Beck himself if he doesn't see this.

Calling Carl Beck...anyone ---help!

Thanks for any info or info sources you might have. I want to have as much solid info on the car as I can get. This is my 2nd Z, after selling HLS30-03778 some years ago after I owned it for 27 years, and which the buyer sold on BaT not too long ago.

Peter

Vancouver Island, British Columbia 

IMG_2954.JPG

4 minutes ago, M3333hp said:

Can anyone help me find out the country of first sale of HLS30-00957 ?

I bought this car some years ago in British Columbia, Canada, 

I was told by the seller that it was originally an Oregon car, but there is no documentation of that.

Don't you have to go through customs to get a car in to Canada from the States?  Might be a clue.  

Any paperwork that you used to buy the car would be clues also.  Didn't you get a title?  What did you use to transfer title to your name?  Any reason not to share the PO's name?

Not much to work with besides the 957.

Thanks Zed head. I'm not sure where that chassis model identification table came from, but I have a database of hundreds of cars/VINs/photos of No. American 240Zs and none of them have a 'U' on any of the dataplates, or the firewall.

Anyway, the car was in Canada when I bought it, so no info from the US came with it.

And I have lost touch with the seller, who moved, so the last hope is maybe on Classiczcars.com

I get your point, 240260280. Your CDN car has the Euro balance tube without all the emissions stuff on it that the US cars got.

My previous car, HLS30-03778, had the Euro balance tube also, and I bought that one from the original owner, in Vancouver, BC, and it was a CDN car from day 1.

My current car, HLS30-00957, came with the original engine, per the engine bay data plate and engine number on the block, but it had the US balance tube, which, along with the claim by the seller that it was an Oregon car, tells me that it was sold new in the US. But that's not enough to prove that it's a US car if someone ever wanted to import it back to the US free and clear.  

BTW, I'm guessing you are somewhere in the East from the snow in your pics. I'm on Vancouver Island and the last time I had to shovel snow out of my driveway was in Feb 2012. We don't get much snow here. Cheers.

19 minutes ago, M3333hp said:

Anyway, the car was in Canada when I bought it, so no info from the US came with it.

Canada customs and the seller's name?  Not sure why you're not giving more info.  Is it one of those sketchy "lost title" cars?  The Oregon guy drove it in to Canada and left it maybe?    No offense intended but the story has holes.

Good luck.

This post might help, as it is a lower vin than mine and on the west coast I think it would have none of the emission equipment on it if it is a Canadian UN car. That includes no air pump, no vapor tank, only three holes in the tubing isolators (brake,fuel and fuel return), double grove hormonic balancer, smooth balance tube, no flow guide, no small port on the block vent tube to name a few things. That said if it was brought into  Canada via Ont. than it would have all of that and look just like a US car.

• Like 2

We had a whole long discussion about "reVINing" cars and what makes a car, and what makes a VIN.  Coincidentally one of the members is from Oregon and feels fine with moving VIN tags over to different bodies.

Does the car have 957 stamped in to the firewall, like it should?  Looks like all of the ID plates have been removed.

Not implying anything nefarious on your part.  Just that maybe there are problems with the title or will be in the future.  It kind of looks like you're seeking information to help you get a proper title.

I really do not think he is trying to mess with any VIN, just try to find out if there is a way to find out if it was imported into Canada or the US in 1970. Nissan used extra letters in the VIN to track where they were shipped to, but did not put these letters to any of the VIN numbers on the car. Kind of think you are off base with the whole title thing.

• Like 1