IGNORED

Please Clarify: 70-72 Bumper Brackets on 73 cars

Matthew Abate

After I noticed a comment on the WHP site about their 70-72 front bumper brackets about needing to heavily modify them to fit a 73 (https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/new-datsun-240z-260z-280z-stainless-steel-euro-bumpers/), I did a bunch of searches of this and other sites and haven’t been able to confirm that this is or isn’t true.

I did find someone on ZCar.com saying that you have to do a bunch of work to make them fit, but in that same thread someone mentioned that the original 70-72 mounting points are still there and that the 73 bumper brackets mount in a different location (https://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/321961-73-bumper-brackets.html#/topics/321961). This would make sense if the bodies are all the same globally and they just fit one style in the US and the other everywhere else.

Does anyone have experience with this either way? Photos clarifying these points would be much appreciated.

If anyone found that it IS necessary to modify the 70-72 brackets to fit a 73 please describe the work involved.

To put the early bumpers on my 73 I had to do the following:

1. Buy a set of early bumpers.
  2. Buy a set of early bumper brackets.
  3. Remove the old bumper and bumper mounts
  4. I did a "dry fit" and determined I needed spacers on the sides.
  5. I installed the bumper.

It's not too difficult, but my next door neighbor did lend a hand here and there.

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/installing-the-front-bumper/

Okay, so that’s two people who have had success without modifying the brackets. That makes me wonder if it is just the Whitehead Performance brackets that need modifications.

[mention=4648]SteveJ[/mention], can you show where you needed the spacers? I didn’t quite follow that part of your write up. Were they out on the sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

2 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

That makes me wonder if it is just the Whitehead Performance brackets that need modifications.

WHP is talking about modifying stock brackets, I don't think they sell brackets unless they are used.  Strange,  I'll email Mike Hanson at WHP and see if he will comment on it.

Note:
These bumpers can be used on 73 240Z’s and early 74 260Z’s however you must create or modify brackets for the installation. The easiest method is to obtain early 240Z bumper brackets, as these will fit the bumper correctly, and modify them to fit your particular application (significant modification necessary, including machine bending and often cutting & welding).

Installation on late 260Z and 280Z cars is much simpler and only requires our 260Z/280Z conversion brackets for metal bumpers

To be clear, you can use the 70-72 bumper mounting brackets on the 73. The mounting holes for the early brackets are there, and no modifications are needed. There are reproduction mounting brackets available such as from site sponsor @zcardepot.com https://zcardepot.com/front-bumper-bracket-stainless-steel-240z-1970-73.html

WHP is talking about modifying stock brackets, I don't think they sell brackets unless they are used.  Strange,  I'll email Mike Hanson at WHP and see if he will comment on it.

Right, in their note they say you need to modify the 70-72 brackets to fit a 73, but SteveJ said you don’t (unless I misunderstand his post).

A comment from WHP would really help, so thanks for reaching out to him.

1 hour ago, Matthew Abate said:

Right, in their note they say you need to modify the 70-72 brackets to fit a 73, but SteveJ said you don’t (unless I misunderstand his post).

That is correct. I did NOT have to modify the 70-72 bumper brackets to fit an early bumper to my 73. 

On 9/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, Matthew Abate said:

Here is the email I just received from Mike Hanson, Shop Manager for WHP,  so the description on their web site should have changed to reflect what @SteveJ found.

Thanks for the heads up.   I've corrected the info on our product pages.  Looks like i copy and pasted the info for the rear bumpers onto the front bumper pages.  Definitely less work involved retrofitting a front bumper than a rear bumper.

Thanks,

Mike Hanson
Manager, Whitehead Performance
416-665-2220
uc?export=download&id=0BxZegFGh-qtGdVZPO

All good info!

I guess my next question is:

Is there a “best” when it comes to these aftermarket front 70-72 brackets, or are they all pretty much the same? Is there anyone who tried or has experience with more than one option? Does it matter who you buy them from?

Any will work.....used or aftermarket. It’s a very straight forward exercise. Take off the old bumper and brackets. Bolt holes already exist for the early brackets. Bolt up the early brackets........4 bolts required.....and if I recall, you can use the 4 bolts that you take off the 73 brackets. Bolt up the new early bumpers in front and attach the two small bolts where the bumper ends attach to the front fenders (a rubber gasket between bolt and fender)......done......need a helper, but a one hour job. Improves the looks IMO.