IGNORED

Need fan clutch

GR8GARY

These clutches are welded shut and not rebuildable.  The main shaft by the Thermo spring is broken internally. This is what overheated the car causing to sit for over 20 years. Have a friend at O’Reilly‘s and we try to match one up without luck. 

One other thing, this fan is black. Does not look like it’s ever been repainted. I have only seen white metal fans. has anybody ever seen a black fan from the factory?

13 minutes ago, GR8GARY said:

These clutches are welded shut and not rebuildable.  The main shaft by the Thermo spring is broken internally. This is what overheated the car causing to sit for over 20 years. Have a friend at O’Reilly‘s and we try to match one up without luck. 

One other thing, this fan is black. Does not look like it’s ever been repainted. I have only seen white metal fans. has anybody ever seen a black fan from the factory?

My early 71 had a white blade, well, more of a cream color. I replaced it with a flex fan after the clutch locked up.

I prefer to restore these cars to as original as possible. I guess I’m just hardheaded that way. I’m a little leery of buying anything off of eBay because it’s a 50-50 shot whether it’s going to work or not. Don’t want the same thing That happened 20 years ago  because of a defective fan clutch. This car is a Texas car and has almost no rust whatsoever. Here’s a pic of the fan That came with it. I know somewhere out there there’s either a good used one or preferably a new one that will work. I have time because Z therapy carbs are about a month and a half to two months out and engine will be at machine shop for six weeks

EBACA4FD-2871-4B3D-98EA-2080DEAA80BE.jpeg

16B5C65A-50C2-47F3-A865-9544D278AD33.jpeg

6F7487CE-E89F-40DD-974B-346C4D3AB5C7.jpeg

Have you approach any rebuilders on whether it is possible or not. If the factory welded it shut on assembly then re-welding it shut should be possible. I suspect that it is salvageable somehow. In any case don't dispose of it. Some one here might want to take a stab at fixing it. Can't make it any worse

17 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Rebuild the one you have.  Fastwoman wrote up what she did with hers.  They're pretty simple devices, parts-wise.

I think he was suggesting the early fan clutch is welded shut versus the later version which is bolted together