IGNORED

Advice on this 1980 on CL

Johnny Danger

14 minutes ago, Johnny Danger said:

I'm going to text a $4k offer and see how many middle finger emojis I get back.

Good move.  With CL cars, always establish the seller's insult level.  Looks like the perfect car for a guy who goes by the name Johnny Danger. B)

Dennis

• Like 2

Yeah, I just want to make sure I'm not missing a good deal. Plus, I kind of dig it.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/zx/6675657745.html

This is the silver car I was talking about. Established contact to ask if the price was negotiable. Said I had 4k if he was interested. Then silence. He's either mulling it over or he just gave the real middle finger to the phone and decided to skip the virtual equivalent.

Yep. No go on that offer for the silver. Said I'd be in touch if it was available later.

I'll probably go check this black '80 out and see about the fenders. The condition of those and the presence of the aftermarket seats are the only two negatives that really stick out to me at the moment. Well, the fuzzy dash as well, but that's not hard/expensive to rectify. I can work/deal/live with the tail lights.

Really digging it not having t tops and having the updated a/c along with the other new parts. Clean stock body is apparently not high on my list. Who knew?

A  $1,400 difference between a clean body/paint/interior and a heavenly modded one with questionable issues is a no brainer for me.  You couldn't paint the black one for anything near that difference, not to mention the flare issues and tail lights, even if you did it yourself.  If the Silver guy says no to 4K,  I'd  try 4500. You would still come out ahead in the long run.  My other 2 cents....

• Like 1

First off, I really appreciate everyone's input. It's good to have experienced eyes on this stuff, even if I go on to make my own foolish decisions.

Ok, so far in this thread, it's a 3 to 1 vote against the modded 1980. I guess siteunseen is not to be trusted? Or maybe his user name is how he buys his cars and he has a more cavalier attitude?

I'm at least going to go check it out at this point. Take a good hard look at the fenders.

Also, yes the clean silver car looks clean, but there is not much in the way of interior shots, the dash is probably cracked, one of the seats has a cover, no good shot of the driver seat. And when I asked for mileage and whether or not any recent work had been done, all I got was a mileage number and "It runs and drives." I kind of wonder if the guy actually wants to sell the car. So while the paint and body seem spot on, almost everything else is an unknown. That and I really don't necessarily want T-tops.

The black car is majorly sketchy on body work, but that may actually matter less to me at this point than the recent mechanical work and knowing the major things are already taken care of. New A/C components and refrigerant conversion is a huge chunk of money I know I wouldn't have to spend. But what might be the nail in the coffin on that deal is that early on the seller said the brakes needed to be bled. I asked him if there was a specific point that he remembers the brakes having issues. And he says that he "let the brake fluid get too low" which caused air to get in the lines. But man, that sure as hell sounds like a brake fluid leak to me. I would also need to get a really good look at all of the calipers and the master cylinder to inspect for leaks. At that point, he'd have to come down more on the price. He actually started at $6K going back to old FB marketplace posts.

Further to my conversation with JSM yesterday, I kind of wonder how the market in Florida is compared to here. If you can find me a clean 82 or 83 for $4k in Florida, I'll fly out and pick one up. I've got plenty of airline points.

39 minutes ago, Johnny Danger said:

Ok, so far in this thread, it's a 3 to 1 vote against the modded 1980. I guess siteunseen is not to be trusted? Or maybe his user name is how he buys his cars and he has a more cavalier attitude?

Yeah,  that @siteunseen guy,  you can tell what kind of person he is just by his ranking......right Cliff?.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1