IGNORED

Distinct clunk when accelerating in first gear

jalexquijano

Grab the differential and see if you have any movement up and down at the nose, smaller end by the driveshaft. 

The rubber wears out on the differential support and makes a thumping noise.  Yours still has the sticker so I'd think it's been replaced since 1972? 

Can't advise on the strap, never fooled with one of those.

image.png

Edited by siteunseen

The proble shows up and is more noticeable when driving at slow speed up slope entering the parking of my building. Whenever i accelerate after releasing the clutch i can hear the "clunk" coming from the rear of the car. I took it to the mechanic and he didnt find any play at the u joints. Do yoi think i should invest i  a new set of u joints plus the differential strap and support?

Good times man...good times.

You can get thumping from the ends of the mustache bar also.  The diff twists when you apply power, or torque from deceleration.  If the mustache bar bushings are loose you'll be able to lift the end of the bar up by hand.  

image.png

19 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Good times man...good times.

You can get thumping from the ends of the mustache bar also.  The diff twists when you apply power, or torque from deceleration.  If the mustache bar bushings are loose you'll be able to lift the end of the bar up by hand.  

image.png

10 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Grab the differential and see if you have any movement up and down at the nose, smaller end by the driveshaft. 

The rubber wears out on the differential support and makes a thumping noise.  Yours still has the sticker so I'd think it's been replaced since 1972? 

Can't advise on the strap, never fooled with one of those.

image.png

43 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

How do i check this?

How about you do as the other members have suggested in this thread already? Seriously, this is test you or a mechanic can do quite simply. 

spoon.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jalexquijano said:

20180804_112108.jpg

This is a nice looking undercarriage though.  Very clean.  No leaks.  Wish mine looked like that.

But, you should get some soft pads for your mechanic to use on the lift arms.  He's denting things and lifting in the wrong spots.  Each lift probably adds a little bit more damage.

• Like 1