Spikzsta

Fuel problems? Spark?

I am not a pro mechanic, I started on this project z ‘75 280z fuel injected. I changed all the gaskets and realized I needed new fuel injectors. I pulled them and changed them. I didnt relieve the pressure by disconnecting the line and letting the pump pump it out. I leaked some fuel and relieved the pressure that way. I replaced everything and put the car back together when i went to turn it on it wouldnt turn on. 
It cranks and if i give it gas it tries to turn on but wont stay on. I think i have spark. When i have the key in the on position i can hear the fuel pump working. My gas tank currently has under a quarter of gas. And before i change all the spark plugs and wires how can i make sure if its the gas pressure or if it isnt getting enough gas. I changed the fuel filter too. What should i do to run diagnostics? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Spikzsta said:
I started on this project z ‘75 280z fuel injected.

It cranks and if i give it gas it tries to turn on but wont stay on. I think i have spark. 

Did it run when you started the project?

Try starting fluid.

Make sure that the intake manifold and crankcase are fully sealed.  All of the injector o-rings, the oil filler cap, all ports on the manifold must have a hose or be blocked.  Even the dip stick tube has to be sealed.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Did it run when you started the project?

Try starting fluid.

Make sure that the intake manifold and crankcase are fully sealed.  All of the injector o-rings, the oil filler cap, all ports on the manifold must have a hose or be blocked.  Even the dip stick tube has to be sealed.

It ran. I will try starting fluid. Im sure everything is sealed but ill double check.

1 hour ago, ajmcforester said:

Also check wire connections to pump, injectors and ignition

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

I havent gotten a chance to work on it but... i did an egr delete would that have anything to do i disconnected a wire im guessing it was to a water temp gauge could that be giving me an error? All the pipes were sealed and headers installed 

I havent gotten a chance to work on it but... i did an egr delete would that have anything to do i disconnected a wire im guessing it was to a water temp gauge could that be giving me an error? All the pipes were sealed and headers installed 
Not what I'm thinking old cars sometimes a wire connections don't always connect after disconnecting.

Did you plug the one under the throttle body that comes off the EGR or BPT, I can't remember which but it's the one circled in yellow in this photo.

SDC10703.JPG

Here's a good picture of the connections on a "77.  Thanks to @240260280

His write up,

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html

eficonnections.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

I just took the EFI harness off my 77 and there is also a ground in the engine compartment the drivers side strut  bulge. I missed this one in the drawing above.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 4:27 AM, siteunseen said:

Did you plug the one under the throttle body that comes off the EGR or BPT, I can't remember which but it's the one circled in yellow in this photo.

SDC10703.JPG

Here's a good picture of the connections on a "77.  Thanks to @240260280

His write up,

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electricalconnections/index.html

eficonnections.jpg

I plugged upthe one for the egr. I gotta check the wiring again i will be changing the spark plugs and wires anyway

On 8/12/2018 at 4:05 AM, ajmcforester said:

Not what I'm thinking old cars sometimes a wire connections don't always connect after disconnecting.

The temp and thermostat sensors were in a plug together with the egr. Ill try pluging that in maybe thats why it isn’t starting?

3 minutes ago, Spikzsta said:

The temp and thermostat sensors were in a plug together with the egr

Can you post pics of what you are talking about, I'm not following you.

2 minutes ago, rcb280z said:

And are you referring to the injector seals?

I will post em in a couple hours. I did change those but i meant the gaskets to the oil pan, the intake.. etc

If you installed new injectors you should have already replaced the seals as well. 

Why did you have to install new gaskets? Did you have the engine torn apart, did you have vacuum leaks? 

What prompted you to do this work if it was running before? Need more info from you.

Just noticed your other post. So you had an oil leak....so I understand the pan gasket.

Intake gasket...why?

What is etc.? Need to know what gaskets you changed.

Edited by rcb280z

1 hour ago, Spikzsta said:

The temp and thermostat sensors were in a plug together with the egr. Ill try pluging that in maybe thats why it isn’t starting?

Does it smell like gasoline?  If the coolant temperature sensor is unplugged the ECU will add lots of extra fuel.  It might be flooding.

"It cranks and if i give it gas it tries to turn on but wont stay on."

37 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

If the coolant temperature sensor is unplugged the ECU will add lots of extra fuel

This is what I was hoping he would tell us, whether it is unplugged or not

Edited by rcb280z

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Does it smell like gasoline?  If the coolant temperature sensor is unplugged the ECU will add lots of extra fuel.  It might be flooding.

"It cranks and if i give it gas it tries to turn on but wont stay on."

Ok makes sense thank you!

I connected the temperature sensor back.. as you can see in the vid still doesnt turn on. 

Maybe it's a phone - computer incompatibility but there's only sound on your "vid".  Somebody else did the same thing the other day.

And that thing you're holding in your hand is the vacuum advance control solenoid, I think.  The electrical doesn't matter as much as the open vacuum line.  That would be a small vacuum leak.

And your valve cover is connected to your crankcase which is connected to the intake manifold via the PCV system.  It's a giant vacuum leak.

image.png

The 

17 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Which ones?

The thermo plug and the coolant plug

🙄🔫