IGNORED

Why My Z Wouldn't Go Into Gear - Ever Seen This?

Dropped the tranny today in my '76 280z with a '77-'78 five speed. Originally I had thought the pressure plate was faulty after I replaced the master and slave cylinders and adjusting the clutch pedal. Upon further inspection, the clutch and pressure plate definitely weren't the culprit. Now I haven't scoured the web to see if anyone else has experienced this besides googling a few key words, but a few really experienced Z guys I know say they've never seen this. What do you think? 

My symptoms were just the car being harder and harder to put into gear over the course of a few days. As far as I know, the car was originally a California model although the transistor ignition unit is from non-cal with a cal distributor. The car spent time in Phoenix and now resides in Tucson with me. Stock fuel injected 2.8 with what looks like a stock clutch and flywheel. Original slave and master cylinder looked to be of oem quality. Just some info for brainstorming. Tell me what you think! 

Snapchat-404141789.jpg

• Like 1

I've had the pivot ball snap off. Never seen this before. Maybe there's a wrong part somewhere in the clutch system causing that. Something is probably too long and causing excess pressure on the pivot is my first guess.

Chuck

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen with my son 2.5 RS. The pivot ball worked it way through the lever. We replaced the lever and throw out bearing and cleaned up the area the throw out road on.
Make sure you have the right size parts for your transmission.
Lot of discussion and photos on this sight

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

• Like 1

Yes, I have seen this before. Wasn't on this Zed I have now. The crack was between the pivot ball and the top vinger going to the thust bearing. It would flex and the peddle felt like the system had air in it. Bled and bled the system, even changed the master and slave cylinders before we found.

• Like 1