IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

A photo of the Z from 1973 showing the steering wheel:

early steering wheel.jpg

I did not really like the "feel" of the bare steering wheel, so in 1974 or 1975 I installed a black wheel cover for a better grip.  Always had a wheel cover on from then until Motorman7 took it off last year.  (I believe I replaced it once during the time I had it.)  So for 44 years, it had that black cover on the steering wheel. (and 170,000+ miles).  That and heat during its outdoor storage period might explain why it was "dark" for Motorman7.

photo from arrival at Motorman7 (the interior is looking better now...:-):

DSCF6436.thumb.JPG.add82e8bd9e8ddb9f3128c8d411c6d86.JPG

Edited by jayhawk
  • Like 3

The rubber piece for the '73 bumperette's is impossible to find.  So, I figured I would order the earlier (70-72) bumperette rubber and see how that fit.  Actually, it fit pretty well.  The length of the rubber strip is exactly the same and the two end studs are also in the correct location for attachment.  However, there are two center studs on early rubber and just one on the '73, and the locations are different.  To make the early rubber work on the '73, I cut off one of the studs (The one that sits on top of the metal stud that attaches part to bumper) and drilled a hole in the bumperette where the other center stud would land.  This worked very well and am pretty happy with the results.

I put in the last of the vinyl and panels (just a few final fasteners and rivets to install).  I ended up going to the local auto upholstery shop to have them hem up the wheel well cover portion that had the missing hem.  It took them just 10 mins and was cheap, $10.  The vinyl was fairly easy to put in, the panels were again a challenge.  The holes do not line up well.   I will probably send a note of to the manufacturer, letting them know about this issue.

The new chrome vents came in.....thanks @Zup

I will pick up the last up my plating items today along with the fenders.

DSCF8182.JPG

DSCF8176.JPG

DSCF8178.JPG

DSCF8180.JPG

DSCF8184.JPG

DSCF8185.JPG

DSCF8186.JPG

DSCF8188.JPG

DSCF8192.JPG

DSCF8194.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 3

You may want to try Z Car Source of Arizona.  At the time about 3 years ago, only the left was available new.  I had to re-drill a few holes and flip it to the other side, the end has a slight taper.

1972.jpg

1973.jpg

1 hour ago, 240Z73 said:

Out of curiosity, what are the 4 screws on top of the black painted radiator support used for?  

The four screws secure an air dam that is above the radiator. It has the hood profile on top. I am guessing it reduces airflow into the engine bay to improve cooling.  I think it is unique to the '73 and '74 model years. I am unfamiliar with it and can't find it in the manuals.  @Carl Beck is more familiar with this. I need to find out if I need to attach a weather strip to the top of it. I would think the weather strip would be similar to the cowl weather strip. 

41 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

The four screws secure an air dam that is above the radiator. It has the hood profile on top. I am guessing it reduces airflow into the engine bay to improve cooling.  I think it is unique to the '73 and '74 model years. I am unfamiliar with it and can't find it in the manuals.  @Carl Beck is more familiar with this. I need to find out if I need to attach a weather strip to the top of it. I would think the weather strip would be similar to the cowl weather strip. 

Correct - the "lip" on the radiator core support is one of the items first tried by the Nissan Field Service teams working with the Local Datsun Dealership mechanics. The idea block air flow over the top of the radiator and core support - to force more of it through the radiator.  Yes they had a rubber seal that mated to the hood.

The one’s installed at the Dealerships were bolted on or screwed on - on later 73’s they were spot welded on at the factory as standard equipment. As far as I can see the factory started adding them around 12/72 or 01/73.

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Correct - the "lip" on the radiator core support is one of the items first tried by the Nissan Field Service teams working with the Local Datsun Dealership mechanics. The idea block air flow over the top of the radiator and core support - to force more of it through the radiator.  Yes they had a rubber seal that mated to the hood.

The one’s installed at the Dealerships were bolted on or screwed on - on later 73’s they were spot welded on at the factory as standard equipment. As far as I can see the factory started adding them around 12/72 or 01/73.

A photo confirming some of Carl's information.  On my 6/73 build date 240z the radiator core support to hood seal attaches to a spot welded fin which matches the rise of the hood profile. (just to the left of the hood prop rod)

20190615_105734.jpg

Edited by Zup
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Carl B.

My car (the subject of this thread) was mfg'd 10/72, although the V3, kit which I recall included the fuel line insulation and the electric fuel pump, was not installed until July '74.  (after returning from an 8 month Navy deployment).   If the "lip" was part of the V3 kit, I never realized that.  But I do not know when else that would have been installed.  I just found the work order where the V3 kit was installed, although it has no details about what was in the V3 kit:

V3 kit work order.jpg

• Like 1