IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

Got the car supported in multiple places and level. Removed the carpet on the passengers side and found a hole on the floor pan.  Very minor considering what I have been dealing with so far.  Funny how your perspective changes!

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

• 1 month later...

Its been awhile since I posted.  Haven't been able to work on the car much.  My daughter is 6 months now and she has been taking most of my time.  I removed much of the tar coating on both the drivers side and passenger side floor pans.  I wanted to make sure there was no hidden rust.  Thankfully i did not find any more.  Since I havent been able to work on the car frequently I gave it a quick coat of eastwood frame sealer today to make sure I dont get any flash rust.  Next steps will be to do a compression test on the engine and then pull it so I can replace the frame rail.  Having scary thoughts like "since the engine is out why not strip the car and do a full restoration..."

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

• Like 1

I would encourage you to not get into the "while your at it" syndrome. I did that with my current project and most of my kids have grown up with out a running Z car. It has been a long term fixture in my shop. Your life is only going to get busier for a while if you have small children. All of mine are either in college or getting close. Get your car running and enjoy it. Then your kids can have great memories of riding around with dad in his Z!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I would encourage you to not get into the "while your at it" syndrome. I did that with my current project and most of my kids have grown up with out a running Z car. It has been a long term fixture in my shop. Your life is only going to get busier for a while if you have small children. All of mine are either in college or getting close. Get your car running and enjoy it. Then your kids can have great memories of riding around with dad in his Z!

I agree with Charles.  You can spend a ton of money and time "while your at it".  Mine aren't award winners but I could drive them from coast to coast without worry.  Probably wear a gas mask to keep from falling asleep though. LOL

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I would encourage you to not get into the "while your at it" syndrome.

Thirded. I've been doing my car "backwards" but started in much the same place you did: little kids, first project car, and no real experience with a lot of what I ended up doing. There were a couple times I could see the project get away from me if I didn't reign it in. Getting smaller wins at the beginning makes the bigger projects seem more manageable later on.