IGNORED

240Z Window woes

loudoun

I have a 70 build 240Z and recently the drivers window refuses to roll up.  It had this problem previously and I got it to work, but the same problem is back.  However, before I tear the door apart, I wanted to ask the forum if they had experienced this before and how they solved it. 

Here are the symptoms:  The window will roll up several inches, but them gets jammed and refuses to budge.  It rolls back no problem.  It also seems to interfere with the door release handle.  Any ideas before I go the route of taking it all apart again?

Thanks!

UConfirm that the teeth in the handle are not stripped. If all is ok with the handle the gear that controls the up and down movement seems to have some restriction. At any rate pull the door panel to inspect freedom of movement.  This is relatively easy. The gear will be in plain sight then. Take the handle and check the operation. Not many things to trouble shoot. It also gives amchance to inspect the inside of the door for cancer. Good Luck!

On 5/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, loudoun said:

I have a 70 build 240Z and recently the drivers window refuses to roll up.  It had this problem previously and I got it to work, but the same problem is back.  However, before I tear the door apart, I wanted to ask the forum if they had experienced this before and how they solved it. 

Here are the symptoms:  The window will roll up several inches, but them gets jammed and refuses to budge.  It rolls back no problem.  It also seems to interfere with the door release handle.  Any ideas before I go the route of taking it all apart again?

Thanks!

I suspect the window is binding up some how. The gear box can wear out causing binding, but more likely one or more of the tracks is loose and allowing the window to jam in the track. If you hold the window with one hand can you roll it up?

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

I suspect the window is binding up some how. The gear box can wear out causing binding, but more likely one or more of the tracks is loose and allowing the window to jam in the track. If you hold the window with one hand can you roll it up?

Patcon, no I cannot grab the window and pull it up.  It is stuck when it is up a couple of inches.

The little plastic wheels tend to break.  That's a fairly easy fix.

If it's jamming that bad there's no fix for it without taking the door apart.  Can you lift up on the window while working the crank handle?  Don't let it get jammed on the way up.

I think that the window has moved over because a roller broke or one of the rail mounts came loose.  Push the window in and see what's loose.  I don't that you can adjust that problem away.  Something broke or a bolt or nut came loose.

Edit - actually I see that the window front has dropped own, pushing the bottom of the window back.  Pretty sure that you lost a roller.  Sqwauk, repeat.  It's a fairly common problem, they get brittle and crack.

Edited by Zed Head

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:31 PM, Zed Head said:

I think that the window has moved over because a roller broke or one of the rail mounts came loose.  Push the window in and see what's loose.  I don't that you can adjust that problem away.  Something broke or a bolt or nut came loose.

Edit - actually I see that the window front has dropped own, pushing the bottom of the window back.  Pretty sure that you lost a roller.  Sqwauk, repeat.  It's a fairly common problem, they get brittle and crack.

The rollers are intact, but the backing plastic piece behind them are either broken or non existent.  I pulled regulators from some of my parts cars and same deal.  Any ideas?