IGNORED

Misfiring while cruising

Nice. Is that the NNJ club? Or the Long Island maybe?

NJ club. 1st timer after 25 yrs away. Let the fun begin.

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Twice pipes Tokico 1, 3/4 in sways, ext oil cooler

On 5/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, Mike W said:

I used to run the Mallory Unilite but switched to the 123 Ignition setup.  A couple of comments about the Unilite / Mallory from my experience:

1. Mallory was acquired by MSD a while back and as a result the Unilite made for the L6 engine is NLA.

2. On my original Mallory setup the part number for the distributor cap was 270 and the rotor was 339.  You should be able to still get these through MSD or even Amazon.

3. The electronic module in the Unilite distributor was known for being susceptible to spikes on the 12V line and could go bad as a result.  Due to that I always carried a spare with me (never had to use it) and also installed a Mallory power line filter to eliminate any 12V spikes. 

Hope that helps and good luck with solving your problem.

Mike.

My Z uses the 270/339 combination and I think they are still available. I called Mallory last Friday about determining which cap/rotor to use and they had me read them the part number on the distributor. To be sure you are getting the right cap and rotor, look for a 7 digit part number etched on the distributor tag just below one of the two cap retaining clips.

IMG_0927.JPG

On 5/24/2018 at 10:00 AM, Mike W said:

I used to run the Mallory Unilite but switched to the 123 Ignition setup.  A couple of comments about the Unilite / Mallory from my experience:

1. Mallory was acquired by MSD a while back and as a result the Unilite made for the L6 engine is NLA.

2. On my original Mallory setup the part number for the distributor cap was 270 and the rotor was 339.  You should be able to still get these through MSD or even Amazon.

3. The electronic module in the Unilite distributor was known for being susceptible to spikes on the 12V line and could go bad as a result.  Due to that I always carried a spare with me (never had to use it) and also installed a Mallory power line filter to eliminate any 12V spikes. 

Hope that helps and good luck with solving your problem.

Mike.

My Z uses the 270/339 combination and I think they are still available. I called Mallory last Friday about determining which cap/rotor to use and they had me read them the part number on the distributor. To be sure you are getting the right cap and rotor, look for a 7 digit part number etched on the distributor tag just below one of the two cap retaining clips.

Same part numbers here. Got the rotor. Cap arrives in a week. Thanks

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Twice pipes Tokico 1, 3/4 in sways, ext oil cooler

• 1 month later...

I have the original Hitachi single point distributor with 1761 pertronix ignitor. Car runs fine. However if i leave the choke pulled all the way out for more than 1 minute, the engine tends to foul and damage the plugs. I was wondering if this happens to other users? Have you ever cleaned the innards of this distributor? if so how?

Yes leaving choke pulled will cause my plugs to fowl. I only pull it enough to start and then back it off as the engine warms.

Never had to clean my distributor.

72 body with 71 interior, Eibach, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Zstory, SUs, BRE Libre wheels and front spoiler.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, jalexquijano said:

I have the original Hitachi single point distributor with 1761 pertronix ignitor. Car runs fine. However if i leave the choke pulled all the way out for more than 1 minute, the engine tends to foul and damage the plugs. I was wondering if this happens to other users? Have you ever cleaned the innards of this distributor? if so how?

Here's your sign. ROFLDon't leave the chokes on for that long. Bet that will clear up your problem.

Edited by rcb280z