IGNORED

Starting problem

GIchiro

I have the gear reduction starter and all was well for about 1 month after taking the car back. 

-One day the battery would not turn the starter over and I was at 4 volts. Battery was new and needed charge for 3 days which is alot for this type of battery. 

-Load tested ok.

-I made a hard start relay  30/40 amp relay.

-The car will not turn over w/o the hard start relay.

-When the car does turn over the starter is still turning over for a couple seconds, most of the time. It doesn't happen every time.

-Starter is new?

-II also have the MSA upgrade alt/diode. I have 14.2 volts at idle.

-Is that too high?

Thanks,

GI

Thinking about this, I keep going back to a new(ish) battery that drops to 4 volts and THEN takes three days to charge. I'd have thought it would have failed the load test. I'd try another battery known to be good or jumper cables from another battery to see if the relay is still necessary.

What did you mean when you said "When the car does turn over the starter is still turning over for a couple of seconds"? Do you mean the starter keeps running for a couple of seconds after the engine starts?

Well I may have it solved.

-Went to check all the grounds/hard start relay etc.

-Turned over the engine and the starter kept running, even with the ignition off and key removed. I had to take off the + batter cable.

-Placed in the original starter, started right up, no starter bendix issue.

-Did a research on the part number on the starter, being the Z car guru I hired to restore the car has taken every short cut possible to maximize his profit. Low and behold he put in the Auto Zone type starter (16584) garbage!! 

-I am just disgusted with this guy. Should I have to go the litigation route, he will be exposed for the dirt bag he is because the BAR report will be public knowledge.

Thanks,

GI

Edited by GIchiro
edit info for precision

No sir.

Only if my case goes to court will I divulge the company/owner since the records will be public record.

I am hoping the owner accepts responsibility/man's up for 6 years of ....lies/deception/poor workmanship/taking original parts and not returning despite my many requests.

As well as wanting another 10,000$ and not having even completed the work I had already paid for.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GIchiro said:

Only if my case goes to court will I divulge the company/owner since the records will be public record.

I'm guessing that even if it goes to court, he'll skate free and live to scam again.  Sounds like you should have cut him off years ago.  Guys like that generally talk a good story, act like your friend, and take you for a ride.  You may be better off to just accept the loss and move on knowing you'll be wiser in the future. 

Dennis

Yes, he fooled the hell out of me.

He was on the cover of magazines and seemed so passionate.

He was meticulous about details, except for my sons car.

One drama after another.

He swore his painter was the best when I stated I would have someone in central, CA do the paint/body.

The car has to be repainted because the bondo is cracking under the paint on the hood and many areas were not addressed as discussed.

I even bought a rotisserie and offered it o the body guy so he could get the difficult, but rust prone areas.

He refused and even after taking the car back 2 times, not done.

As a last resort I called the BAR.

They investigated and recommended a full refund.

Funny thing is, the items not completed that I paid for, as well as the incomplete body/paint are more than the full refund of over 40K.

I may not see a penny but, I will hold a picket sign in front of his shop and show everyone the garbage job he did.

As well as talk to the DA about probable fraud/theft charges, because there were items not returned/suspicious double charges/etc. I will also send everything to all the magazines /clubs.

Perhaps his ego, or the possibility of jail will make him think about doing the right thing to avoid this.