IGNORED

( This is someoneelses ad I've listed and am considering buying) What are peoples thoughts on the worth of this? How 5k sound?

Slane Jode

The first 260 the guy is including in the sale the original motor plus two extra trannies.  Why would someone do that? Couldn't he make more money by selling those parts separately?  Or maybe he just wants to get rid of them or is it to sweeten the deal, some sort of selling strategy, I dont know? WHy?

common rust areas: rear wheel wells, lower rear of front fenders, rockers near the back of the doors, front frame rails, battery tray area, floor boards, spare tire well, ledge under the hatch

None are deal breakers. Everything can be fixed with time and money but major battery tray rust, frame rail rust or quarter panel rust are big jobs

1 hour ago, Slane Jode said:

found it on facebook group forum: Datsuns for Sale!

What are your thoughts on this Z?  15k seems like too much  would you pay that?  What do you think about those modifications?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/d/1974-datsun-260z-lsv8-6spd/6573976959.html

Help us help you.  What's your budget for buying a Z?   Do you have the skills, or friends, to do mechanical, electrical, or body work that may be needed?  Do you plan to learn to drive a "stick shift" car or do you prefer an automatic?  Have you ever owned a 40 year old car? 

Not trying to discourage your dream, just trying to figure out if you're a serious buyer or a tire kicker at this point.  Don't want you to get in over your head like it appears the owner in the craigslist ad above did.

Dennis

Both of those cars are somebody else's uncompleted project.  The first guy is just getting out of the Z world and selling all of his parts, the second guy is trying to get back the money he spent.  The first guy was trying to get back money spent also.  That's why you might be better off just finding an old original Z.  Then you can start spending more money than you can sell it for when you're done.

And as pddenno implies, what are your plans?  Many of us like to work on our cars (some have never driven theirs), some have completed cars for driving and showing.  Are you looking for a project, a daily driver, or a race car?

But if you don't know how to drive stick you might want to learn that first.  It's not too hard but learning on a car you're thinking of buying isn't a good idea.

I'm pretty much asking these questions to get a feel for the appropriate price ranges for what I'm looking at. I've never owned a 40yr old car. I'm Continually learning and sharpening my sense of what to look for in the condition of these cars, to learn how best and what best to put money down on when I finally choose to do that.  I'm very interested in getting one of these cars to indeed tool around with and experience the joy of cruising in it and being one with it and to make it mine like these guys attempted to do. 

I love the look and nostalgic vibe of the s30 better than any other car I've seen. I want a stick to drive it, drive it.    I'm novice mechanically with only experience maintaining my accord doing minor jobs, breaks, ball joints, tie rods, head gaskets, sensors, starter etc.  I know that's nothing but I have tasted the satisfaction and visceral feeling of empowerment, self reliance and freedom of this relationship with a car, which has made me an avid follower of the guys on youtube who do just that and I kinda wanted to get my foot in the door of that lifestyle,  but can't go full die-hard like I'm sure some of you are, because of money and other priorities taking center.

So...I'm feeling out the best approach to my situation...I work full time and also have the life long project of being a serious professional photo-realist painter so all my free time is spent in long hours of the painting discipline www.michaeljosephkimpler.com ...that aside, I know what it is to take on a project.  So I'd want the car as a side hobby but one that I can buy that at least reliably runs, so I can enjoy it in season, and in winter store it and begin to do minor restoration jobs through the years.  Like a rat rod with strong reliable running components and at least not rusted out to the point of compromising the structural integrity of the car, but also can be slowly welded back up and restored...right now my price range is 5k...that's right just 5k, I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time.

thankyou for your time, Mike

2 hours ago, Slane Jode said:

I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time.

Not at all, you have great potential, I think we are witnessing the birth of a serious Z freakLOL

Always a good idea to go see as many Z's as you can find so you start to learn where the problems lie and condition of cars from your area, there is also a members map here on the forum, you might be able to find another member close to you that would be willing to go see some cars together, keep you from wasting your money, just a thought.

SLANE

We were all once where you are now. AN ENTHUSIAST.....with limited knowledge, not super rich, and have lives. My 2 cents. I would not buy someone else's modifications even if I were an ace mechanic. 5K is not a bad price considering what you are getting, spare parts included. If you really want an S30 find one that is as close to unmodified as possible. It is important to know how these cars came so you know what you need if indeed something is needed. A heavily modified powerplant can be quite troublesome even with good mechanical skills. Look long and hard before purchase. No one wants you to end up with a PINK ELEPHANT that you can't stand. A much less modified car will provide many hours of driving and tinkering pleasure. This may seem like a deal too good to pass up but do us all a favor and shop wisely. With limit knowledge of clutch and fuel pedal interaction and an engine that might not be the easiest to manage in traffic this could turn out to be a decision you could very well rue. BY ALL MEANS........DO NOT BUY A CAR SIGHT UNSEEN. Give it the most thorough inspection you can and if possible take someone with intricate knowledge of S30's with you. My suggestion...........KEEP LOOKING!

• Like 1