IGNORED

Where to go with this rusthole

Elliott000

Hey Elliott000:  What did you end up using for the piece between the outter dogleg and the seatbelt screw hole?  That's where I am now Andre I'm considering. My options.  See pics.  Anybody have a best practice here?  Thanks!!
IMG_1584.thumb.JPG.59400240a2892d2a36445cedc087ca52.JPG
IMG_1585.thumb.JPG.4070ca1f43967501f0de08306dcd67b5.JPG
IMG_1586.thumb.JPG.d2fb139ce3fe736ad0b4bbdf71e07643.JPG
Hey jughead, I basically did what you have done and cut back to good metal. I cut a straight line accross as high up as I could and just used a hand hammered peice of sheet metal to recreate that layer. It wasn't the prettiest bit it maintains that inner structure so I'm satisfied! Only really needed some hammering while welding at the bottom beck side where it had some shape. Can't find any pics of it.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

On another note I spent some time stripping tonight. Any suggestions for the roof. The attached pic was attacked by the previous owner not my work. But, I've been using a wire wheel and I don't like pushing on that roof, shes too tiny to lean on it. What the next best thing? Just a sanding disc, like a surfacer/scotchbrite style if u k ow what I mean... Pretty pumped the window and entire rear hatch recesses are mint and no rust whatsoever. It would appear this thing has seen 5 colours haha. I'm happy I decided to strip it fully. The thick paint job actually removes a lot of pop on the factory lines! 20181117_220002.jpeg20181117_220156.jpeg20181117_215857.jpeg20181117_215846.jpeg20181117_215917.jpeg

Man, you are making good progress and your shop is so clean!  You could try a a razor blade and a heat gun or since you are going down to bare metal a chemical stripper. Once you get that last 1/3rd of the roof done you could switch to a long board to find out where you stand with the highs and lows of the roof panel, side to side, front to back, corner to corner.

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

Man, you are making good progress and your shop is so clean!  You could try a a razor blade and a heat gun or since you are going down to bare metal a chemical stripper. Once you get that last 1/3rd of the roof done you could switch to a long board to find out where you stand with the highs and lows of the roof panel, side to side, front to back, corner to corner.

I agree 100% with this

The shop looks great and the car is coming along really well. My first choice would be "Aircraft stripper" Harsh but really easy and doesn't remove any metal

Thanks for the comments. Shop is pretty awesome, it's a good workspace it's double long and about 15 feet wide and some more where the datsun is. The window works good as a fan mount to suck dust and air out LOL. There's a pile of my dads crap im slowly getting him to remove in the other end. Bought the house off him in January but still trying to get him to toss his old junk in the trash! I'll try some aircraft stripper. U think it will migrate into the house? Door closed and weather stripping etc. I'll run the fan to create positive pressure and suck the stink out

3 hours ago, Elliott000 said:

Thanks for the comments. Shop is pretty awesome, it's a good workspace it's double long and about 15 feet wide and some more where the datsun is. The window works good as a fan mount to suck dust and air out LOL. There's a pile of my dads crap im slowly getting him to remove in the other end. Bought the house off him in January but still trying to get him to toss his old junk in the trash! I'll try some aircraft stripper. U think it will migrate into the house? Door closed and weather stripping etc. I'll run the fan to create positive pressure and suck the stink out

If you keep a fan running you should be fine. It doesn't stink after it's neutralized.

Didn't touch the car today but I thought I'd share what I built that also eats my money ha! Took the kids out wheeling and for a fire today. Id post a video but I dunno how, 84 bronco on 37 inch rubber 5.8 liter. Shes been neglected since I brought the datsun home haha 20181118_162032.jpeg20181118_170200.jpeg20181118_175318.jpeg20180820_154515.jpeg

• Like 2

Aircraft stripper is badass and a huge labor saver. Roofs good to go, i went at the driver side mechanically and clearly my work lies in that quarter panel ha! She's seen some bangin around. Yellow line is patch panel black will be about where my weld seam is. I'll have to brush up on my hammer and dolly work and try to smash the dent out some. It's apparent this quarter has been replaced before too. The entire wing, its welded at the roof line not lead like the rest. Buried secrets eh.... 20181119_105249.jpeg20181119_111619.jpeg20181119_111626.jpeg20181119_112007.jpeg20181119_112041.jpeg