Neb

New '75 280z owner checking in

    Recommended Posts

    Grabbed a '75 280z late last year and have been (slowly) trying to get it running.  I have always loved the cars, but this is the first chance I've had to own one.  Definitely learned a lot so far and looking forward to learning and participating in the forums here!

    Ben

    IMG_20171126_143132.jpg

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

     Nice find and welcome Ben. Interesting dent in the top shoulder of the fender. Garage accident? Did you get original bumpers with the car? The reason I ask is, we have a member that has an early 76 that needs an end from a front bumper and the rubber filler strip in the center. If you were going to go the early bumper route, perhaps you would part with your old one. Sorry if I appear to be a vulture circling over forty three year old meat. Our member in Georgia is trying to complete her bumper to get ready for car shows this spring and summer. No luck finding the parts so far.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    If you like to watch videos, I have a youtube channel, its my journey with a 1975, you may find some interesting stuff that would apply to your 76.

    My youtube is

    Dave WM

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Ben, Nice find. Welcome to the club.

    Hardcto judge with one photo, but it looks in good condition. Do you know what you want to do with her?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

     

    2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

     Nice find and welcome Ben. Interesting dent in the top shoulder of the fender. Garage accident? Did you get original bumpers with the car? The reason I ask is, we have a member that has an early 76 that needs an end from a front bumper and the rubber filler strip in the center. If you were going to go the early bumper route, perhaps you would part with your old one. Sorry if I appear to be a vulture circling over forty three year old meat. Our member in Georgia is trying to complete her bumper to get ready for car shows this spring and summer. No luck finding the parts so far.

    Thanks Mark.  Unfortunately the car didn't come with any front or rear bumpers or hardware.. I'm looking at the lightweight fiberglass setup from MSA for the rear and still trying to figure out what I want to do with the front.  There IS this guy up in Louisville, KY selling a set that might work though https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/datsun-bumpers-240z-260z-280z/6505969533.html

    Is hers white? 

    2 hours ago, Dave WM said:

    If you like to watch videos, I have a youtube channel, its my journey with a 1975, you may find some interesting stuff that would apply to your 76.

    My youtube is

    Dave WM

    Dave, I'll definitely check out your videos.  Trying to sponge all I can at the moment.

    18 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

    Ben, Nice find. Welcome to the club.

    Hardcto judge with one photo, but it looks in good condition. Do you know what you want to do with her?

    Thanks EuroDat, the picture probably does it more credit than it is due.  Floorpans are pretty rusted, paint is a mediocre shot of the original color over the original paint, and its not running yet.  But its getting there.  I just want to get it running and drive it; nothing special.  Take it back to stock and enjoy :)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    37 minutes ago, Neb said:

     

    Thanks Mark.  Unfortunately the car didn't come with any front or rear bumpers or hardware.. I'm looking at the lightweight fiberglass setup from MSA for the rear and still trying to figure out what I want to do with the front.  There IS this guy up in Louisville, KY selling a set that might work though https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/datsun-bumpers-240z-260z-280z/6505969533.html

    Is hers white? 

     

     Thanks for the link. I've emailed her the info. Jai's 280 is a beautiful red 76.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Mark Maras said:

     Thanks for the link. I've emailed her the info. Jai's 280 is a beautiful red 76.

    I just got an email from the guy with the bumper, in Louisville.  It is for a 1978 280.  Probably no good, what do you think?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    9 minutes ago, Redwing said:

    I just got an email from the guy with the bumper, in Louisville.  It is for a 1978 280.  Probably no good, what do you think?

    I am absolutely still learning what will fit what with these cars, so I don't feel qualified to answer that one haha.  BUT I did come across some info when bumper shopping on MSA.  If you read through their product description, it sounds like there are differences between the 75-76 and the later 280z.  Maybe give them a call?

    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n01/32-2068

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, Redwing said:

    I just got an email from the guy with the bumper, in Louisville.  It is for a 1978 280.  Probably no good, what do you think?

    And also, your z is gorgeous!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Neb said:

    And also, your z is gorgeous!

    Thank you.  God had His hand in my getting her, it would never have happened otherwise.  Up close there a bunch of little things that need attention.  Being a "mature" lady of 75, there are many things I cannot do myself for her.  But the members here are wonderful to me.  Several have driven here and worked on her, and sent parts to me for her.  There were problems when I first got her 3 years ago, but a member sent me an ECU, and poof everything has been great since then.  I take her to car shows and we have won 4 trophies!  Such fun.  

    Thanks for the heads up about MSA, I will call them.

    Have a good day...

    Jai

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Neb said:

    And also, your z is gorgeous!

    Oh, too being a 1 owner car from Scottsdale helps in her beauty and wear!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Redwing said:

    Oh, too being a 1 owner car from Scottsdale helps in her beauty and wear!

    Well that is a great find.  I've only been up close to 4 Z's.. and all of them looked every bit of the 40+yrs they had on them.  Rust seems like a major issue.  But apparently not with a one owner AZ car, :D Congrats!

    Hope the bumper thing works out.  I'll let you know if anything else around here pops up.  I've got my lightweight MSA bumper on order for the rear.  No idea how to handle the front yet..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Nice find!  There's lot's of folks here that like to help so you've come to the right forum. Like mentioned before, we (I) love pictures.  Cars this old probably had so much shoddy PO work like mine that photos can give valuable hints on what was altered.  So, Welcome to your new disease!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, gwri8 said:

    Nice find!  There's lot's of folks here that like to help so you've come to the right forum. Like mentioned before, we (I) love pictures.  Cars this old probably had so much shoddy PO work like mine that photos can give valuable hints on what was altered.  So, Welcome to your new disease!

    You may be opening pandora's box with that one; I've got plenty of questions.  Great looking car btw!

    Sadly I don't have many good pictures yet.  My z is very much in progress. 

    IMG_20180315_185335.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, Neb said:

    I am absolutely still learning what will fit what with these cars, so I don't feel qualified to answer that one haha.  BUT I did come across some info when bumper shopping on MSA.  If you read through their product description, it sounds like there are differences between the 75-76 and the later 280z.  Maybe give them a call?

    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n01/32-2068

    I went through a similar situation trying different things. Ended up with fibreglas bumpers from msa and the air dam.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, EuroDat said:

    I went through a similar situation trying different things. Ended up with fibreglas bumpers from msa and the air dam.

     

    That is a ton of great info.  I will definitely dig into it more when I get around to piecing together the front end.  I really like bumper/air dam combo you ended up with, looks great and very clean

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, Neb said:

    You may be opening pandora's box with that one; I've got plenty of questions. 

     

     

    I think, and I'm sure many will back me up here,  that if you bought an old sports car to work on,  you have actually bought Pandora's box in disguise.  Just don't get discouraged and Enjoy it! :)

    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Getting the motor up higher, with ramps or jack stands, while you work on it will save your back.  I figured that out after a year or two.

    And you can get rid of that plastic hose that runs off the air cleaner to the passenger's fender with a small piece of screen wire.

    DSC00411.jpg

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    17 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

    if you don't want that plastic snorkel let me know I have been looking for one. need the clamp/rubber that holds it as well.

    I had to source an airbox from ebay.. sadly it didn't come with any sort of snorkel

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    1 hour ago, gwri8 said:

    I think, and I'm sure many will back me up here,  that if you bought an old sports car to work on,  you have actually bought Pandora's box in disguise.  Just don't get discouraged and Enjoy it! :)

    it has begun..

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 3/27/2018 at 5:04 AM, EuroDat said:

    I went through a similar situation trying different things. Ended up with fibreglas bumpers from msa and the air dam.

     

    I called MSA.  I had spoken to him before, and I am on a call back list for the right bumper end.  The last of them they got from Japan, was 2 of them, back in 2016.  As of now, on  that list, there are 17 people ahead of me waiting too.  Boy, that's hard odds.  Looong time to make it to the top of the list.  

    Jai

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now