IGNORED

Oil Pan/Sump won't come off

24OZ

I tried everyones method apart from the angle grinder, thankfully never had too. I finally used a big screwdriver with a flat head and gently prised it and it gave way..

I notice that the inside of the oil pan, looks painted black, but this paint is worn off in many places.. Is this normal or has someone painted mine on the inside. I'm goign to strip it bare as I dont think paint in the oil is a good thing..

One more question please. while the oil pan is off I can see the strainer, how do i go about cleaning this, i'm not sure it needs cleaning but may as well do it seeing its now accessible.

Thanks.. :D

Originally posted by 24OZ

One more question please. while the oil pan is off I can see the strainer, how do i go about cleaning this, i'm not sure it needs cleaning but may as well do it seeing its now accessible.

Hi George:

Good to see that you were successful in removing the oil pan. They can be very "stuck" to the block even without the addition of adhesive. Must be the heat and oil, I guess.

You can remove the strainer by un-doing the two bolts. (there is a gasket between the strainer and the block which I think you would have a hard time purchasing as a separate item, (I've only found it in full engine gasket sets) but it can be created with sheet gasket material and an exacto-knife (razor knife) and some degree of patience. I have soaked my strainer in mineral spirits and used a small stainless-steel wire brush to clean the screen.

Good Luck!

Thank you Carl for the info..

Yep, it was giving me a hard enough time! Its not comfortable at all working under the car, its actually one of my pet hates! Much prefer peering over the bonnet or actually driving the thing!

Thank you...

On further inspection and cleaning of the oil pan, (Im going to paint it blue on the outised), I dont think it has been painted black on the inside.... I think its just burnt oil.