IGNORED

Oil Pan/Sump won't come off

24OZ

Hi all,

I have removed all the screws, given the thing a good few hard wacks with a block of wood and a hammer and still it wont come off.. Haynes says not to use a screwdriver to prise it off, so I have run out of ideas..

Thanks...

If you have a stiff putty knife, tap it in around the pan to break the gasket loose, actually to cut the gasket as much as release it's grip on the pan and block. Go all the way around it and when you have gone all the way around it, take the putty knife and twist it to loosen the pan. The reason you don't want to use a screwdriver is because it puts pressure one such a small area it will bend the flange on the pan, using a putty knife will spread the force out.

Probably someone has used a sealant on the pan gasket and it is well sealed.:ermm:

I can't believe it won't come off with the putty knife trick George... double check you have all the bolts out?

Just keep at it, and don't forget to go around it on the front side where it meets the front cover.

If nothing else, use a good stiff bladed carpet knife or utility knife to cut between the pan and the gasket.

If you have all the bolts out, it's gotta come off sooner or later.....:ermm:

Originally posted by 24OZ

I have removed all the screws, given the thing a good few hard wacks with a block of wood and a hammer and still it wont come off.. Haynes says not to use a screwdriver to prise it off, so I have run out of ideas..

It should come off. Maybe someone used an epoxy to install it? hehe

Anyway, the manual is correct, you don't want to bend the edge of the pan with a screwdriver. But, be careful wacking it because you could bend the oil supply pipe inside the pan. I've always had good luck hitting it a few times, prying with a putty knife (see other posts), and then hitting again a few times. You could try to cut the gasket with a xacto blade, but, be careful not to slip and cut your wrist! :cheeky:

-- M

Originally posted by JEFF

Using a dead blow hammer worked well for me after I did the

"2ManyZs" trick.

- Jeff

And don't always WHACK it in the same direction. WHACK it from all sides while watching carefully for signs of movement so you don't break the Oil Pick-up tube when it finally lets loose.

Hey, can I piggy-back in here on the subject?....I have torn numerous L's apart and at some point Nissan began putting--for lack of a better term--'flange stiffeners' around the oil pan. Two pieces of thicker, drilled metal about a 1/2 inch wide which go under the bolts around (roughly) two halves of the pan. Anyone know exactly when this started and why? I can't imagine them being added without a problem.

steve77

Originally posted by Zvoiture

Hey, can I piggy-back in here on the subject?....I have torn numerous L's apart and at some point Nissan began putting--for lack of a better term--'flange stiffeners' around the oil pan. Two pieces of thicker, drilled metal about a 1/2 inch wide which go under the bolts around (roughly) two halves of the pan. Anyone know exactly when this started and why? I can't imagine them being added without a problem.

steve77

I believe that they started in 73. My 71 and early 72 240Z's did not have those extra brackets around the oil pan, but the 73 that I used to own did have them. Just got a set of them from "Danny's Datsuns" in Oregon to retrofit to the 72 engine I'm having rebuilt (short-blocked) for installation into Bambikiller.

BTW, the set that I got has 3 pieces, but strangely they do not go COMPLETELY around the circumfrance of the oil pan. There is a small area not covered by these brackets/plates.