IGNORED

Value question on a 100k all original 78 280z

Don't run the engine too much with the heater core bypassed.  Better to block both ports.  It's a topic of endless discussion, but seems pretty well decided. 
Why? It's just eliminating that portion and antifreeze is ending up I the same place.

Jr

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

205/50x15 is what I have, sorry.  The 16s are just a little too big for me, they look odd in my opinion.  Remember Stompers? LOL Related image

Hankook Ventus now but these Dunlop Direzzas next.  

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/205-50-15

Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2 H457                                     Dunlop Direzza DZ102  

9 hours ago, riverstonefly said:

Why? It's just eliminating that portion and antifreeze is ending up I the same place.

The coolant that goes through the heater core never goes through the radiator. It comes out of the hot head (at the back), passes through the heater core, and goes back to the water pump inlet without ever passing through the radiator.

So the theory is that when you bypass the heater core you allow "too much" heated coolant to go directly back to the water pump inlet without ever passing through the radiator to cool it off. It has been said that this can result in over-heating, hot-spots, or both.

• Like 1

The coolant that goes through the heater core never goes through the radiator. It comes out of the hot head (at the back), passes through the heater core, and goes back to the water pump inlet without ever passing through the radiator.
So the theory is that when you bypass the heater core you allow "too much" heated coolant to go directly back to the water pump inlet without ever passing through the radiator to cool it off. It has been said that this can result in over-heating, hot-spots, or both.
Wow good to know! I appreciate the info Capt!

Well I guess even little old ladies can be liers.....

I found that the rear driver's side quarter panel had been painted, why I'm not sure as of yet but it looks like there was a repair of some sort!

I found the damage when I happened to use airline stripper to remove the adhesive residue left behind from side molding [emoji36][emoji36]

IMG_20180312_204243967.jpgIMG_20180312_204248994.jpg

Don’t be too hasty to judge. This would not be the first time a person had been sold a brand new vehicle from the dealership that had been repaired prior to the first owner.
I bought a brand new van with 60km on it in 1992 and found out 10 years later that it had been repaired at a body shop right after arriving at the dealership. Apparently someone creased the side while unloading it or parking it etc and it was fixed prior to me buying it! No “accident report” required as it was hidden by the dealer. Pretty common really....
She might not have ever known a paint repair or dent was done by the dealer or import agent before it was ever titled.
... maybe.

If that's the extent of the body work done on a 40 year old car, I think you're still way ahead of the game.

But back up a little bit... When you say "airline stripper", are you talking about the methylene chloride based paint stripper? If so, then I think you are using the wrong product there. Any of the methylene chloride based strippers are extremely aggressive, and I wouldn't want them anywhere NEAR my paint unless I was actually using it to remove the paint. I wouldn't let that stuff touch paint that I was intending to keep.

If you're trying to get adhesive residue off, I'd use WD-40.

• Like 1

Actually there were many areas that the only way the factory could get it right was to use a liberal amount of body fillers, especially around the wheel wells and lower rocker panels. I would agree you have no real worries. This would be a good time to look inside around al the seams and fill any dry and crumbled spots or any voids left by the factory. Replacing the grommets for the fuel vent lines would be a good idea. These areas allow fumes to enter the cabin.

• Like 1

Don’t be too hasty to judge. This would not be the first time a person had been sold a brand new vehicle from the dealership that had been repaired prior to the first owner. I bought a brand new van with 60km on it in 1992 and found out 10 years later that it had been repaired at a body shop right after arriving at the dealership. Apparently someone creased the side while unloading it or parking it etc and it was fixed prior to me buying it! No “accident report” required as it was hidden by the dealer. Pretty common really....She might not have ever known a paint repair or dent was done by the dealer or import agent before it was ever titled.

... maybe.

Well considering I've been in the automotive industry for over 25 years I should have found the imperfection[emoji45] clearly my fault. I guess I let my guard down when I meant the PO. The repaired area was clearly done sometime after being sold new and wasn't done very well. No new car dealer would have ever accepted this kind of substandard repair on any new vehicle period!   I may have been out of line calling the PO a lier, the car may have been driven by her son and damaged at some point, he wasn't allowed to drive the car LOL and may have snuck the car out. [emoji36]

If that's the extent of the body work done on a 40 year old car, I think you're still way ahead of the game.
But back up a little bit... When you say "airline stripper", are you talking about the methylene chloride based paint stripper? If so, then I think you are using the wrong product there. Any of the methylene chloride based strippers are extremely aggressive, and I wouldn't want them anywhere NEAR my paint unless I was actually using it to remove the paint. I wouldn't let that stuff touch paint that I was intending to keep.
If you're trying to get adhesive residue off, I'd use WD-40.
Sorry, actually Klein Strip Aircraft decal and Adhesive remover which I've used in the automotive industry for decades with no issue's.