IGNORED

Value question on a 100k all original 78 280z

Couple of comments:
Porsche owners (I currently own a 981 Cayman S) share the love for 2 seat, nimble, pure sports cars with a definite GT feel. My Cayman gives me the exact same feeling I had driving my new '77 280Z back in the day.
As far as value for that '77 280Z, [mention=32755]riverstonefly[/mention]2 years ago I paid $18,000 for my 90,000 mile, extremely original, rustfree "78 280Z (no sunroof, impeccable interior) that was only missing the original radio and wheels. Depending on the mechanicals, and the actual quality of the body panels and chassis, I think that candidate is very strong and although a price of 10K would be fantastic, I don't think it's very realistic. I think a fair price would be between 16 and 20K in the current market. That would still make it a good deal since your expenses to bring it to excellent shape would be very reasonable due to the overall condition.
The bonus is that despite the opinions of all the 240Z owners on the forum (no nasty comments please ), the 280Z will provide you with a much more refined drive, similar to your SC ! 
Well sounds like we would get along swell now in regards to your assessed value I couldn't agree more! Wish I could say I paid less but 16k was the final figure.

The original owner teared up as she handed me the keys, her last name is O'Neil so in respect to her my plates will read Oneil78!

IMG_20180301_120743399_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Wow. I'm impressed. I think that might be the cleanest all original 280 I've ever seen. With good pictures, I can usually find fault or untruths in sellers statements, but on that car, at least from the pics, I can't find any. I can't find any evidence to contradict the claim of original paint, and it has been kept in wonderful condition. Based on the cleanliness, I assume that it was rarely driven in crappy weather, and was always stored in a garage.

Original paint, radiator and cap, master cylinder, windshield washer tubing,  vacuum hoses, EGR is intact, original exhaust system, original frame rails, and the list goes on... Just look at that original yellow chromate!

Only things "wrong" are the sunroof, it doesn't have A/C, and it's a four speed instead of the five. I'd trade you for mine in a heartbeat. Even with all the improvements I've done on mine. In a heartbeat!

Congrats.  My only regret is that you didn't pay more. I like to believe my car is worth more than that, and now I'm not so sure!  LOL

Now change all the fluids, put in new fusible links, and install relays for the headlights and starter solenoid.   Also check that the radiator mounting wings on the upper sides of the rad are still attached. I've seen them come off before, and yours look a little flakey.

• Like 1

I figured 15k as my first guess. You did ok. There are a few little areas that need attention but very clean overall. Near the battery tray, go ahead and neutralize that rust, as well as the rear deck lid area. Also there is so slight bubbling in the front fenders but still very nice! Doors and jambs are clean. Under the hood clean and original finishes still evident. Nice find...

• Like 1