IGNORED

Looking for advice on sequencing of restoration work

Kevin McSweeney

16 hours ago, ksechler said:

What about me?  I still lurk around here ya know!

Knock yourself out!

My bad! Your thread is a great resource too!  So many good resto threads, I reference them all on a regular basis or sometimes just to give me motivation to get things done!

Suggested Sequence

1. Do you plan to install ZG flares, front air dam, spoiler, bumper change, new performance parts like aluminum radiator, wide/bigger wheels, exhaust, french/delete parts, etc?  If so, fit these parts/do work before you strip the car to ensure they work and roughly line up with no interference.

2. Once you have this done then strip the car completely.

3. Address the body work first on stripped shell.

4. In parallel you can work on refreshing the systems (brakes, cooling, wheels, engine, lubrication, steering, ignition, fuel, drive train, wiring/electrical)

5. For reassembly, some like to install engine and suspension/wheels before painting, I like to do this after.  Be sure to install the brake and fuel lines before putting engine and drive train in.

6. Do the interior before the glass and trim (except of course door glass and quarter windows which go in before the adjacent interior parts).

7. Put dash in after interior trim and windshield is in place. (put wiper motor and linkage in before windshield).

Edited by 240260280

KEV

You are on the right track............YOU HAVE BEGUN!.....I began with getting rid of the cancer on mine, and trust me mine had quite a bit. I wanted to get it squared away before beinning the final touches. It just made sense due to the amount of sandblasting required. Accumulating parts for the final assembly has been ongoing (8 years) and everyone here will tell you tweaking your rig will be ongoing because there is always something new being developed or always something you want to do to persoanlize it. Remember.......THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS!......but quite a few repetitive ones. Above all make it your own because it all really comes down to how much time you have and how much money you want to spend. It should be challenging but fun. STAY ON IT!

3 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Suggested Sequence

1. Do you plan to install ZG flares, front air dam, spoiler, bumper change, new performance parts like aluminum radiator, wide/bigger wheels, exhaust, french/delete parts, etc?  If so, fit these parts/do work before you strip the car to ensure they work and roughly line up with no interference.

2. Once you have this done then strip the car completely.

3. Address the body work first on stripped shell.

4. In parallel you can work on refreshing the systems (brakes, cooling, wheels, engine, lubrication, steering, ignition, fuel, drive train, wiring/electrical)

5. For reassembly, some like to install engine and suspension/wheels before painting, I like to do this after.  Be sure to install the brake and fuel lines before putting engine and drive train in.

6. Do the interior before the glass and trim (except of course door glass and quarter windows which go in before the adjacent interior parts).

7. Put dash in after interior trim and windshield is in place. (put wiper motor and linkage in before windshield).

Yes, I am planning to install the ZG flares, MSA urethane front air dam, ducktail rear spoiler, and do some shaving on the bumpers, etc. 

Interesting because I was almost planning to do that work last, after all the mechanicals were done. The order you have listed makes more sense though now that I've done some reading and some time thinking logically about it.

3 hours ago, esmit208 said:

KEV

You are on the right track............YOU HAVE BEGUN!.....I began with getting rid of the cancer on mine, and trust me mine had quite a bit. I wanted to get it squared away before beinning the final touches. It just made sense due to the amount of sandblasting required. Accumulating parts for the final assembly has been ongoing (8 years) and everyone here will tell you tweaking your rig will be ongoing because there is always something new being developed or always something you want to do to persoanlize it. Remember.......THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS!......but quite a few repetitive ones. Above all make it your own because it all really comes down to how much time you have and how much money you want to spend. It should be challenging but fun. STAY ON IT!

Thank you! Making good progress on the floor pans and frame rails - will post pictures soon - appreciate all of the comments and thread links, I've been doing a lot of reading in the last couple of days!

Bit of an update:

Drivers side floor pan and frame rail (along with some additional work to the front rail and firewall) is almost done. Just need to grind smooth and tidy up.

Working on the passenger side now as you can see from the last photograph. There have been bad repairs done to this previously, including what looks like some aluminum and fiberglass work on the floors. Hopefully I've got the worst of the rust!  

Not sure whether I was sent the wrong year floor pans or whether it's just the way they are, but they needed a lot of work to fit and I still needed to do additional metal fabrication. 

IMG-1247.JPG

IMG-1250.JPG

IMG-1251.JPG

IMG-1244.JPG

IMG-1243.JPG

IMG-1246.JPG

IMG-1249.JPG

IMG-1245.JPG

Nice work KEV. There is something to be said about someone that knows kow to use a MIG on paper thin sheet metal. Although I must say that the areas you are working on are a tad thicker but nonetheless tricky. Looks like my floors a few years ago. STAY ON IT!:victorious:

IMG_20131221_191134_892.jpg

Nice work KEV. There is something to be said about someone that knows kow to use a MIG on paper thin sheet metal. Although I must say that the areas you are working on are a tad thicker but nonetheless tricky. Looks like my floors a few years ago. STAY ON IT!:victorious:

IMG_20150902_130521_173.jpg

Kev:

Looking good.  You might consider taking that front fender off.  I think that you will find the front of the rocker is rusted out too.  You can get new rockers from tabco.  I cut the front off of these and used them for a replacement.  It's a pretty common trouble spot.

22 hours ago, ksechler said:

Kev:

Looking good.  You might consider taking that front fender off.  I think that you will find the front of the rocker is rusted out too.  You can get new rockers from tabco.  I cut the front off of these and used them for a replacement.  It's a pretty common trouble spot.

Currently home in Ireland for a few days, I’m planning on taking the fenders and hood off next week as I have a bit of work to do on them. I’ll definitely look at the front of the rockers. The back portion, and actually the back of the car in general looks largely rust free which is nice!

34 minutes ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

the back of the car in general looks largely rust free

That's amazing considering it spent some time in Nevada. Mine is a CA car as well but has quite a bit of rust because it was in Nevada for 17 years. And yes it does snow in Vegas. And freezes.