IGNORED

Rolling Shell with no VIN

87mj

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

@tzagi1 the US has different DMV laws depending on the state.  However, most states agree that a VIN is assigned to the frame of a production car.  In the case of a Z, the VIN is assigned to the unibody.  Legally, the registration will need to change VIN numbers if you change the body.

All great as print on a computer screen, please provide case law to back up your argument.

17 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

There is no right or wrong, only if its legal or not. In my opinion it's wrong to transplant a chevy 350 into a z car...but Plenty have done it and its not illegal.

The unibody argument does not hold water as well, on any modern pickup the vin is stamped on the cab and the frame, you can change either or both without any legal issues.

tzag, you're getting sucked in to the vortex.  

You talked about "swapping a body in our case" in your post above.  There is no swapping bodies in any Z car case.  It's not physically possible.  Nothing to do with arguing or legality or morals or religion.  Just material stuff.  Edit, rephrase - There is no frame to swap a body on to.

Edited by Zed Head

28 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

All great as print on a computer screen, please provide case law to back up your argument.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/buying-selling/vin.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

https://www.dmv.org/vehicle-history/vhr-reveals.php

They all state the VIN must match the registration.  In the case of lazy workers, they may simply look at the VIN on the door.  But a deeper reveal may indicate some kind of fraud if the VIN on the frame is different than the registration paperwork.

3 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

Very cute and useless article, however I do not read anything about prohibiting changing a car part, such as a body or frame.

Dude, now I know you're trolling...  Let's get back to the original question.  Should this guy be concerned if the sheriff and the appraiser told him to ignore the frame VIN?  If he has paperwork to back this up, he may be fine.  But, I would definitely look at making the papers match the registration as much as possible.  Even if it's to make the selling process work out better in the end.  I know I wouldn't buy a car that has a different frame VIN.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

tzag, you're getting sucked in to the vortex.  

You talked about "swapping a body in our case" in your post above.  There is no swapping bodies in any Z car case.  It's not physically possible.  Nothing to do with arguing or legality or morals or religion.  Just material stuff.  Edit, rephrase - There is no frame to swap a body on to.

Nothing but old wife's tales and urban legends.

I challenge any and all, provide a state law and or a federal law that prohibits it, provide one case law that ended in a conviction.....please I beg of you.

Feel free to look high and low, fraud cases need not apply, not relevant.

Ya'll can keep saying "you can't do that" till you are blue in the face, without legal proof it makes it nothing but irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Should this guy be concerned if the sheriff and the appraiser told him to ignore the frame VIN?  

Nope, thats is exactly how it works on any legal level. nobody cares about that..unless they come back stolen or misrepresented for financial gain.

I consider a VIN stamped into a non-removable piece of metal (such as a firewall) to be a way more credible identification mark than one on a removable nameplate.

In PA, when you bring a car in from another state, you are required to provide a pencil VIN tracing. The nameplate VIN would not hold water in that case. It would have to be done from the firewall or the dashboard.

o, in PA, you would not be able to title that car unless it were titled with the firewall or dash VIN.

23 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

Nothing but old wife's tales and urban legends.

I challenge any and all, provide a state law and or a federal law that prohibits it, provide one case law that ended in a conviction.....please I beg of you.

Feel free to look high and low, fraud cases need not apply, not relevant.

Ya'll can keep saying "you can't do that" till you are blue in the face, without legal proof it makes it nothing but irrelevant.

You're bloviating.  You're not even on-topic, you're just picking things out of thin air and dissembling about your misstatements.  The topic that I was posting on is "swapping bodies of a Z car".  The straight answer is it's not possible.  It just isn't.  There are no laws involved. 

Edited by Zed Head