Tim 240z

Brake upgrade

Has anyone ever tried upgrading the 240Z master cylinder to the 15/16 master cylinder using the stock calipers?

I have Hawk HPS pads. I just never liked the cold street grip no matter what pad I used.

A 20 minute track session is fine where you get some heat in the pads. Getting a 240Z to work more like any

newer daily driver you might have is what I want.

Some people love them, but I have never been a fan of Hawk pads.  Installing a 15/16" MC will decrease pedal travel, but increase force required to stop.  The brakes will feel stiffer, but less powerful with only that upgrade.

Sorry to hijack. My 71Z supposedly has Nissan Competition calipers up front. Are Porterfield pads available for these? I was told its the same pads for a Toyota 4x4 (can’t remember if 84 or 89). Porterfields are available for rear drums? I’m a Porterfield fan.

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Twice pipes Tokico 1, 3/4 in sways, ext oil cooler

A picture would determine the supposedly part of the question as to whether you have Comp calipers.

I ran both Toyo SW8 with stock rotors and the SW12 front calipers with the vented rotors and used Porterfield pads for years until they botched a shipment and sent me street pads in a box marked as race pads. Not a happy time on the track that weekend.

We used Porterfield shoes for about 10 years until switching to NIssan Comp and then Carbotech shoes last year. Both worked fine but the constant adjustments were too much for me and I have now swapped in the TechnoToy Wilwood disc calipers.

I can't say enough about the Carbotech pads and shoes. They will made up any compound (from street to extreme track use) you need on whatever backing plate you have. I have purchased Rockauto pads & shoes, knocked off the material and ground down to metal a few sets and sent them off to Carbotech.

They even will pre-bed them for you

^ That's some nice info about CarboTech. Thanks for sharing. 

I'm, running Z32 calipers up front and have a spare set of used pads. May send the backing plates off to CarboTech to get some Track pads made. How much does this usually cost? 

I checked last year's packing slip and it was $241. I was in NC on business and picked them up so no shipping costs.

They were the most aggressive pad material (20) and the price included pre-bedding the pads., which if you have a race car there is almost no good place to do that. Areas around the track now have a 10 or 15mph limit and doing multiple passes up to 60mph on a local street isn't possible in my neck of the woods. Bedding on the track means I have lost seat time and pissed off my fellow drivers.

If you happen to use the 20 compound on the shoes switch to steel drums (for the higher level of heat).

Edited by gnosez

A picture would determine the supposedly part of the question as to whether you have Comp calipers.
    I ran both Toyo SW8 with stock rotors and the SW12 front calipers with the vented rotors and used Porterfield pads for years until they botched a shipment and sent me street pads in a box marked as race pads. Not a happy time on the track that weekend.
    We used Porterfield shoes for about 10 years until switching to NIssan Comp and then Carbotech shoes last year. Both worked fine but the constant adjustments were too much for me and I have now swapped in the TechnoToy Wilwood disc calipers.
    I can't say enough about the Carbotech pads and shoes. They will made up any compound (from street to extreme track use) you need on whatever backing plate you have. I have purchased Rockauto pads & shoes, knocked off the material and ground down to metal a few sets and sent them off to Carbotech.
    They even will pre-bed them for you

IMG_9408.JPG

12/70 2.6 block E88 heads Mallory DCOE40 3/2 Twice pipes Tokico 1, 3/4 in sways, ext oil cooler

Hi All,

With regards to the Toyota vented brake upgrade front disk. Will the spacer required change the wheel hub position from the stock position (front only)? Meaning will the spacer move the wheel hub /rim/ tire further out in the fender well? Tires are already tight to the inside of the fender running 205's no flares. 

thanks , Andrew

Yes, the spacer goes on the outside of the brake disc so it will move the wheel and tire farther out so it might hit your fender lip more often.  You could roll the lip on the fender or you might have to install a spacer at the top of the spring, if you have coil overs then just screw the adjuster up a few turns.

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Yes, the spacer goes on the outside of the brake disc so it will move the wheel and tire farther out so it might hit your fender lip more often.  You could roll the lip on the fender or you might have to install a spacer at the top of the spring, if you have coil overs then just screw the adjuster up a few turns.

No, this is not quite correct. The spacer does go outside the rotor, but it goes BEHIND the hub and only moves the shallower Toyota rotor inboard to align with the caliper.  The spacers do nothing to the wheel/tire position.

Edited by Jeff G 78
    clarification

12 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Do you really need to upgrade to rear brake discs and pads in place of the drum brakes? I use my car only on satursdays and sundays. 

No, the drums are fine for most applications.  Most rear disc upgrades provide no additional stopping performance over well functioning drums.

Hi All,

So, one vote yes to the wheel hub position moving out and one vote no, same position with the spacer. Anyone on- line preformed the vented rotor and Toyota caliber upgrade on a stock 240Z brake and wheel assembly? 

Thanks for the info.

Andrew 

1 hour ago, Blitzed said:

Hi All,

So, one vote yes to the wheel hub position moving out and one vote no, same position with the spacer. Anyone on- line preformed the vented rotor and Toyota caliber upgrade on a stock 240Z brake and wheel assembly? 

Thanks for the info.

Andrew 

Trust me, the wheel does not move out.  The rotor bolts to the back side of the hub rather than the front of the hub, so the spacer has zero effect on the hub face.  It simply positions the rotor.  There are about a thousand google images online showing the upgrade.

EDIT: Here is a link to one of the many conversion kits.  Scroll through the pics where you can clearly see where the spacer goes.  https://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-280z/brake-upgrades/front-big-brake-kit-stage-4

Edited by Jeff G 78
    Added link
    • Like 1

Im experiencing some strong noise whenever i step on the brakes coming from the rear drums. Should i remove the wheels and inspect the shoes are not worn or use 80 sanding paper on them?

19 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Im experiencing some strong noise whenever i step on the brakes coming from the rear drums. Should i remove the wheels and inspect the shoes are not worn or use 80 sanding paper on them?

Please refer to my response from when you asked the same question a few weeks ago.

Deja Vu all over, again.

Dennis

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psdenno said:

Please refer to my response from when you asked the same question a few weeks ago.

Deja Vu all over, again.

Dennis

CB.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wil84911 said:

Can anyone provide either carbotech or porterfeld part numbers for toyota fronts and stock rear drums. 

No, but just call Livermore Performance Inc.  They don't show a P/N for that application, but can supply anything you need.  They are super easy to work with and a top notch company.  I've bought Porterfield pads many times from them for my endurance racer Z and they are very helpful.  http://www.livermoreperformance.com/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff G 78 said:

No, this is not quite correct. The spacer does go outside the rotor, but it goes BEHIND the hub and only moves the shallower Toyota rotor inboard to align with the caliper.  The spacers do nothing to the wheel/tire position.

@Blitzed, so sorry, Jeff is absolutely correct, I went out to the garage this morning to check and didn't notice the hub hiding behind wheel. So no, your wheel won't be pushed out.  Thanks Jeff

8 hours ago, Blitzed said:

Anyone on- line preformed the vented rotor and Toyota caliber upgrade on a stock 240Z brake and wheel assembly? 

I have the vented rotor/Toyota caliper but a 16" wheel, not the stock 14"

12 hours ago, grannyknot said:

@Blitzed, so sorry, Jeff is absolutely correct, I went out to the garage this morning to check and didn't notice the hub hiding behind wheel. So no, your wheel won't be pushed out.  Thanks Jeff

No worries.  I figured you must have just read the question wrong as I knew you wouldn't steer him wrong.  I just wanted to get the right info out there.