IGNORED

Excessive fuel smell- please help

zdude1967

Here is the issue. I have a 260z that has headers and many of the original pollution control items have been removed. 

The carbs have been rebuilt by Z therapy - I have tuned them according to the video. The car is not running rich to the best of my knowledge. 

There is no air pump, with headers there is no exhaust gas tube, therefore no exhaust gases through the balance tube, the control valve is not hooked up. No water through the balance tube. The carbon canister purge valve has a crack in the lid, but otherwise seems to be intact. The car runs fine but after a strong acceleration the car wreaks of gas. Sometimes in the past to the point of eye stinging. 

What do I need to do to fix this.

I have attached some photos to show areas missing their potential pollution control attachments.

Thanks

Z dude67

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

The float bowl overflow bung should have hoses connected to the air filters.  You could test that with some clear water bottles and hoses.  Zip-tie the bottles to something that won't get too hot and run the hose down into them.  Take it for a spirited drive and see if any fuel has accumulated in the bottles.  If raw fuel is coming out you're looking at a potential fire.

If they're newly rebuilt your floats may be keeping the bowls completely full and fuel is sloshing out the bungs.

Where your thumb is here,

IMG_1087.JPG

Here's the way the factory air filter does them,

Image result for 240z float bowl overflow bottles

Edited by siteunseen

Thanks everyone- I tried the water bottle on the fuel bungs no fuel came out into the bottles. I do not know if the fuel smell is coming from the passenger side fuel recovery area . I need to take that apart and look for bad hoses. I am thinking it is not as I did check this a year or so back. I do not think it is exhaust as my exhaust pipe muffler is in good condition - how else would the exhaust be getting into the cabin.

Please advise

Thanks

9 hours ago, zdude1967 said:

Thanks everyone- I tried the water bottle on the fuel bungs no fuel came out into the bottles. I do not know if the fuel smell is coming from the passenger side fuel recovery area . I need to take that apart and look for bad hoses. I am thinking it is not as I did check this a year or so back. I do not think it is exhaust as my exhaust pipe muffler is in good condition - how else would the exhaust be getting into the cabin.

Please advise

Thanks

The hatch , tail lights, and fuel lines all have seals that can allow exhaust to enter the cabin.