IGNORED

280zx 5 speed going into 75 280z

Dave WM

7 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Captain Obvious wants to know if you remembered to put oil in the trans after you were done with the install.

most def, MT-90 to the fill hole.

I did manage to get it thru all the gears, and I did confirm the speedo cog was correct (50mph at 2500 rpm in 4th).

10 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

most def, MT-90 to the fill hole.

Double bummer, because now your new MT-90 is full of particulated bearing.  Oh well.

Edit - that's the 5 speed that had the crunched up reverse gear, right?

Edited by Zed Head

ZH yes that is the one. guess the old chewed up rev idler got to the bearings after all. So the plan will be to put the old back in, buy  a full rebuild kit (bearings and syncros) and give that a try. I sure hope when I pull it apart there will be a real smoking gun of a bad bearing, if not I will prob not bother with it. For the amount of noise it seems it would be obvious. I cant think of anything clutch related that could make the kind of noise I am hearing, but when I put the old 4sp back it will know for sure. Give me something to do while the hurricane pounds us.

Another lesson learned, I should have noted the sounds they both made when hand turning. I know the 4 sp was quiet in the car, it should be an interesting comparison to get them both out, set then horizontal and give the input shaft a spin. I have never done this before, perhaps a better trained set of ears would tell the trans was bad before going in. Live and learn.

If you want a rebuild kit, look for the 300ZX, 200SX, Maxima kits. Plenty out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Nissan-200SX-300ZX-Hardbody-FS5W71C-F4W71E-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-5spd/171273648905?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D20436572be504cd5896109aaba761520%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D221371830904&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

The only thing that won't fit is the front cluster shaft bearing. You need a  63/22 C3 (ID22 OD56 x 16mm) which will cost about $15 - 25 depending on where you go and brand.

The one in the kit is the larger FS5W71C bearing  (ID22 OD62 x 16mm).

The synchros will fit the 280Z close ratio.

• Like 1

thanks guys on the kit recommendations. I just want to make sure it is the transmission, if the swapped back 4sp makes the noise as well I will have to look a the clutch (cant imagine that, but I need to make sure). I did a side by side comparison of them when both were out, turning the input shaft by hand while in gear. the 5 speed may have been slightly noisier but only slightly. Of course its a lousy way to compare but while I had them out why not.