IGNORED

Rear deck lid pannel material?

sdyck

I'm good and awake now so I need to wise up my earlier post.

I don't have a metric tape measure and in between 3/8s & 1/2 inches would be 7/16". And I thought transferring one on a piece of paper then mailing it to you would work as good as the actual piece? 

And then I thought about the rubber stoppers on the bottom of the hatch, mine were rotted out so I bought new ones from my local Nissan dealership. They use some crazy descriptions on their packaging but theses are the ones.

20170718_141944.jpg

Hey thanks for all the great info. Very helpful! I can deal in eather metric or imperial no problem. I think I will go a little thicker than 1/8" maybe soak the hard board in hot water  for a while and see if I can press a bit of a curve into it. I'll try with sight unseen measurements, but Jim I may come around to compare what I'm working on to what you have. Also like the idea of  rivnuts instead of the plastic rivets.

Im not great at documenting, but I will try on this project in case it's of any help.

Steve

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:44 PM, sweatybetty said:

the one that came with my car is around 1/8". cant find hard-board that thin so i ended up sanding it down to about 3/16"  if it is too thick, i dont know if the plastic rivets will hold it in place

Lowe's has 4x8 sheets in 1/8" for about $7ea. I just bought some on Sunday. It was in an aisle with other sheets and some trim.

Chuck

2 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

Lowe's has 4x8 sheets in 1/8" for about $7ea. I just bought some on Sunday. It was in an aisle with other sheets and some trim.

Chuck

i tried there and slum depot. they called it 1/8", even the sticker on it said 1/8", but it measured way thicker

8 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

but it measured way thicker

Pretty much all building materials are nominal now. Not surprised it was thinner. It is a way for manufacturers to handle inflation. Call it 1/8" but make it thinner for the same price. You should see how small the a bars of soap I like have gotten. The box is the same size but the bars rattle around in them now...:wacko:

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

Pretty much all building materials are nominal now. Not surprised it was thinner. It is a way for manufacturers to handle inflation. Call it 1/8" but make it thinner for the same price. You should see how small the a bars of soap I like have gotten. The box is the same size but the bars rattle around in them now...:wacko:

no, the sticker said 1/8", but the actual board was almost 1/4"

As bad as I hate to say it, I've bought treated lumber and switched the stickers off cheaper pine wood. I was young and stupid, now I'm older and still stupid but I wouldn't do the ole switch a roo today. Too much to lose besides sleep now.

Clarity edit: we would get the high dollar wood for the cheap price and return it for the money. Then buy beer. Not proud of that but it happened. Sorry Lowes.

Edited by siteunseen

• 2 weeks later...

So,  I ended up  driving over to Jim Karst's place to make a template from one of his old covers. Sightunseen measurements helped me get the holes started in the right place.

I'm happy with the end product, but have one corner where I want to smooth out a little where the vinyl  bunched up a little.

I used rivetnuts with.bolts and finish washers because that's what  I had in the shop. I may pick up some white screw caps to see if I like the look better.   Thanks for everyone's help!

IMG_0010.JPG

LIMG_0014.JPGF6717E5E-B23B-44B2-8CFB-3792E978590E.JPGIMG_0056.JPGIMG_0061.JPG

Edited by sdyck
  • Like 1