IGNORED

Sato Wins!

JLPurcell

20 hours ago, Walter Moore said:

I assumed that the original comment was an attempt at trolling the crowd. Looks like it worked.

I'm not trolling anyone, Sato washed out of F1 because of his erratic driving and for continually crashing into other drivers. He was a mess, 1 podium in six years and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of crashed cars. He in fact did NOT accomplish much in F1.  I have not kept up on his career since he left F1 and was surprised to see his win at the 500, good for him, he's older, wiser and has learned some control while in the American Indy Series, I'll bet Sato himself would be the first to say he is a better driver now then he was in F1.  Didn't mean slag anyone's hero.

10 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I'm not trolling anyone, Sato washed out of F1 because of his erratic driving and for continually crashing into other drivers. He was a mess, 1 podium in six years and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of crashed cars. He in fact did NOT accomplish much in F1.

You are Lance Troll, perhaps?

There's none so blind as those who will not see. Takuma Sato and Jenson Button took the Honda-engined BAR 006 to second position in the 2004 F1 Constructors Championship, with Sato scoring 34 WC points. There are many good drivers who have never scored a single point in Formula One.

Sato's career before F1 tells us that he was a race winner and a championship winner. His F1 career came to an abrupt end because the cash-strapped Super Aguri team pulled out of the 2008 season after just four races, not "because of his erratic driving and for continually crashing into other drivers".

I doubt that Sato - a self-effacing, decent, honest man - far from the Prima Donna type perhaps best illustrated by a certain Mr L. Hamilton, would claim to be the fastest and least mishap prone racer out there, but he has proved himself good enough, and in the right place enough, to win the Indy 500 whilst still being regarded as an underdog. And for that I take my hat off to him.      

2 hours ago, 260DET said:

LOL HS making mountains out of molehills again.

You and our pal Grannyknot over here have something in common. Both fond of dropping lines which are easily shown to be a load of old cobblers. Apparently Sato 'couldn't drive' before he washed up in the IndyCar series, despite having been British F3 Champion, Macau GP winner and World F3 Masters winner before he even got to F1.

Call yourself race fans? Even Lance Stroll 'can drive'. The vast, vast majority of drivers who pitch up in F1 and Indycar (even if it is riding on Daddy's money) can drive a car well enough to make the likes of you and me look like complete and utter tuggers.

2 hours ago, 260DET said:

It's just that you are so predictable Alan, someone steps out of the line according to guru you and BAM!

You think "predictable" is an exclusively negative trait then?

You never seem to have anything to bring to a debate. You drop big statements (how about "...just the best and far superior to anything else in the world concerning production sports cars at that time." ?) but you don't seem to have anything to back them up when questioned. I've asked you what seems like a hundred times (yeah, predictable...) as to exactly what car/cars you were referring to with that particular statement, but you don't seem to be able to answer. All you come back with - usually after a period of radio silence - is another dodge. Where's the substance?

For the record, I don't consider myself any sort of "guru". That's in your head not mine, and you'll need to take at least some responsibility for it. Truth be told I'd prefer to be a scholar, as there's still so much to learn. If I think you're wrong, I'll tell you. If I'm wrong I hope to be corrected (yeah, "BAM!"). The truth tends to come out one way or another. Debate! This is a forum, after all.

On topic: Hopefully people will quickly see through crass insults regarding Takuma Sato's ability. He's not my "hero", but I'm glad a Japanese driver has got his name on the list of winners in another world classic race and he has shown speed elsewhere. By the same token I don't believe this Indy 500 win instantly makes Sato "the best Japanese driver of all time" (as is being claimed elsewhere by people who very likely couldn't name more than three Japanese drivers, and one of them Hiro Matsushita...) as that too is garbage.

• Like 1