IGNORED

Checking correct fuel level at Round Top 3 screw SU CARBS Float bowls

If it was mine I would push it down a bit further. Still looks low in the clear tube to me. If you bend it more towards the float it will raise the fuel in the clear hose putting it very close to perfect. Then when you get your float-syncs you will make it exact.

This looks a little too high of a hump to me but you are getting so very close. Good work!

20200411_133950.thumb.jpg.3998a9d70d651f826863d6aef4478ac2.jpg

You could take advantage of the quarantine time to wrap your head around the famous "equally sh*tty" tune. You'll run on the front 3 cylinders only, then the back 3.

To equalize the sh*tty you turn the knobs on bottom getting them to run just barely though at about 600 rpm if I rembered right. Seems like my front one is 3 or about turns down. Rear is 2.5.

You'll need a timing light that shows engines rpms to do this precisely. You have the air flow meter right?

Can hardly wait! Jajajajaja 

On 4/11/2020 at 6:10 PM, siteunseen said:

If it was mine I would push it down a bit further. Still looks low in the clear tube to me. If you bend it more towards the float it will raise the fuel in the clear hose putting it very close to perfect. Then when you get your float-syncs you will make it exact.

This looks a little too high of a hump to me but you are getting so very close. Good work!

20200411_133950.thumb.jpg.3998a9d70d651f826863d6aef4478ac2.jpg

Well my float sync set finally arrived. I have managed to bend the tabs a little bit more but still believe the level is low. I took some pictures as reference. What do you think?

20200418_205720.jpg

20200418_195058.jpg

20200418_215607.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 7:48 AM, siteunseen said:

Hard to tell except this one and to me it looks close. Those float syncs look nice and with them you will get the proper height.

20200418_205720.thumb.jpg.076590299499a156f04c31b5ab194b74.jpg

I bent the tab a little futher on the front float and i think i got it. I even used a 14mm bolt and a school ruler to verify. Tomorrow ill try on the rear carb. 

20200420_142450.jpg

20200420_145748.jpg

20200420_145234.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 9:45 AM, siteunseen said:

Or this...

Site,

I tested the car today and drives better. But experienced some misfire after 4500 rpms. I had to increase the fuel mixture turns from 3 to 3.5 to get more power as the car lacks response when accelerating from red light.  I took pics of the plugs and will test again with new plugs on saturday. Plug 4 is the darkest one.

20200507_121844.jpg

20200507_121644.jpg

They look perfect except #4 as you said. Have you tested the electrical spark to the plugs? You could have a misfire on #4 from one of the components of the ignition system. Distributor cap, rotor button or a faulty spark plug wire. Now it seems like you have a petronix system???

With the car running at idle pull the #4 spark plug wire off the spark plug and listen for any change in motor sound. When you pull off each wire cap it will make a small difference in the sound of the motor. If #4 doesn't make a distinct difference in the motor sound running it would be an electrical problem. If not that I would think it could be an internal fuel leak causing the darker plug color. A bad intake valve not seating completely thus letting more fuel into the combustion chamber. That's about all my limited mechanical thoughts are. Maybe a MUCH smarter man, @Mark Maras could offer more information?

You are doing excellent diagnosis! Keep up the good work and do not get frustrated.

• Like 1

Smarter, not at all. Adding to Cliff's suggestions, I would throw in a quick compression test to rule out poor compression in #4. I'd also pull the cap with the wires intact and measure the amount of resistance in each circuit by touching one contact of an ohm meter to the spark plug end of a wire and the other contact to the corresponding contact inside the dist. cap. If the odd #4 plug isn't caused by poor compression it has to be electrical. I can't think of anything else. Oh, by the way, next time you're out for a spin and you encounter the misfire above 4500, pull the chokes on just a bit and see if the misfire changes. Same goes for lack of power when accelerating from a stop. If giving it more choke improves either situation the fuel mixture was too lean at that point in time and you richened the mixture with the chokes. If performance gets worse the mixture was too rich. Every time I experienced a high RPM miss it was the plugs. Try swapping them out with one of the better looking sets you have stashed and see if the miss goes away. How long ago did the miss above 4500 rpms start? Old plugs?

• Haha 1