IGNORED

distributor cap fitment

kully 560

no problem for the doubting  .I bought this distributor over 10 years ago from black dragon brand new and it was advertised as zx distributor . then I found out that looking at walter m distributor curve sheet that is has a very high vacuum advance so I plug it up and just timed it at 36 degrees full advance. but somebody on this site years ago informed me that the distributor is for a 1980 280zx  automatic car. it came with the e12-80 module all brand new so in my notes I have wrote down 1980 zx auto distributor. I never thought to check the height difference but the 1977 cap and rotor fits fine and works fine.  as siteunseen  shows in the pictures also thank you for that .  the rotors are taller and the cap is taller, but the 280z cap and rotor fits and works great  , why the increase in height that Nissan did I do not know why. I always thought the caps and rotors fit from 240 through 280zx but there is the height difference on the zx caps and rotors. it is about 1/2" taller as siteunseen shows in the picture. that made me start checking old stock  pulling out buckets of z parts in the shed to find the old caps and rotors, diameter is fine just the height. thanks for the help everbody. learned something today never to old for that kully

Edited by kully 560
  • Like 1

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I've owned six but three is the most at once. With my "too old puppy", he's spoiled BAD, I hardly can work on the two I have now.  I didn't get the bug until I joined this forum,  I liked how they looked and drove but these guys and gals taught me working on them is the most fun part of owning them.  Mine are garage hermits now, driven less and less as their value increases and other drivers have gotten more careless. 

"Enjoy the ride" has turned to "enjoy the peaceful wrenching". 

• Like 2

I agree I do not like taking mine out when the roads are busy because as you said I do not like other drivers when they pull up so close to my rear end and I keep thinking where to get a rear bumper!! I drive several hundred miles a year and keep my car in a climate control garage, but having owned the 260z  since 1979 I still like to wrench it and do some upgrades to it then take it out for a 10 -20  mile drive then put it away .

Edited by kully 560

21 hours ago, Zed Head said:

How does the inside of the cap look?  If it's clean and the electrodes aren't corroded it's probably fine for a few more miles.

Just realized that I've been running resistor plugs with resistor wires.  Not sure what the effects are, I haven't noticed any.  Research needed.  But it's a reason to mess around a little more.  The plugs are new, but the wires old.  But I don't think you can get non-resistor wires any more.  Dilemma.

Zed, you can get resistor or non-resistor cut-to-fit wires at summit. these are what i got since i have a radio

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-73055/overview/

and the crimper, which works very well

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-3503