IGNORED

Smoking!!!!!!!!!

lance75_280z

I changed the oil & fuel filter and day later, the car smokes like crazy. The car didn't smoke at all before. Dirty smoke comes pouring out of the exhaust. I also filled the tank up with 94 octane fuel. The car has been sitting for about 9 months but before it was parked, there was no smoke. The smoke won't stop pouring out until I cut the engine off. I hope the gas I put in didn't foul my system up........Could it be the fuel I put in the tank? Seals? Sensors?:tapemouth

If the engine was not run for about 9 months and not 'oil fogged' - the problem is most likely stuck rings - A bimetalic corrosion happens to the 2nd compression ring (cast iron to aluminum) when they sit unmoving for a while(months). The same happens to the oil rings. This problem doesn't normaly happen to the top compression ring because it is a chrome ring.

- Jeff

The smoke is Black/brown. We started the car and let the car rev for about a mins @ 1500-2000 rpms. Black/brown smoke was pouring out. We let off the gas and it idled low & then cutoff. He was thinking that the tank was so full, that the return line was able to return to the tank cuz it was so full. He had this happen to another car of his. Here's the strange part..........

We disconnected the hose from the top of the fuel filter to get rid of some gas. The gas would shoot into our container but the car would still be running! We was thinking that the car was using the return fuel to keep it running. When we thought we had enough gas out of the system, we would hook everything back up. With the hoses back in place, the car wouldn't start. Unhooked the hose again at the fuel filter, the car started right up. We think fuel is being fed from somewhere else like the return line somewhere. I don't have the line crossed. When we hook the hose back up, the car won't start. Should I be checking the fuel line on the char canister? At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel system.......

It is probably running off the cold start valve(injector) in the front of the manifold. When you had the fuel line hooked up it was running rich(which would be correct in a cold start situation as it acts as a choke), and when you unhooked the fuel line it was running only on the cold start injector.

You'll find it near the front of the manifold on the top.... unhook the wiring harness and then start the car with the fuel line hooked up and see what it does.

It could be the temp sensor is bad, or the cold start valve itself. Temp sensor is located in the thermostat housing, there are two if I remember right, one for the temp sensor and one for the water temp gauge.

2many..I forgot all about the CSV. My temp sensor wire is broken. Are you saying that this can cause my Z to smoke? Is it sending that signal I've been hearing about that I can cuase your engine to run rich? It is blowing blk/brn smoke out of the exhaust. I'll pulled the CSV connection & change the temp sensor & hopefully it works.