IGNORED

Question on Installing Original Datsun Competition Springs

JLPurcell

I measured the total length of the tubes on my 72 and the set from the rear of the race car and they are the same. I don't believe that any conclusion can be drawn. I am assuming that the race car had the complete Datsun Competition Suspension Package. What I do know is that the springs in the picture are the ones which were on the race car in the 70's, that the car had short steering knuckles, bump steer spacer, and the aluminum concentrics on the control arms with composite bushings. I guess that the only way to know any more is to find someone with an original Datsun Competition set up and compare notes. Gnose, I hope you can help. JLP

5 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Not exactly on topic but here is a great download (175mb) of a book printed in 1973 by Bill Fisher & Bob Waar, it's titled how to modify Datsun 510 610 240Z engines & Chassis.

http://datsun510.com/index.php?/files/file/138-how-to-modify-datsun-510-610-240z-engines-chassis/

Lots of great period stuff and some interesting 240z suspension mod info starting on page 212.

I had one of these which I wore the cover off of back in the 70's. A couple of years ago a young lady (Sarah Bee) who lives out west, owns an early Z, autocrosses it, and had been following my Oddessey post on this site was in the area and stopped by. I gave her my How to Modify Datsun book to help her with tuning her autocross car. I know she has put it to good use.

Here is a photo of the kit I had from Datsun Comp Department.

The perch's were welded on higher up. I did measure but can no longer recall the amount.

I did talk to D. Roberts at Datsun Comp and he said the perch was made higher for race tire clearance as I recall.

kit.jpg

Edited by Lumens
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...