IGNORED

Camshaft advice

J Shara

Still thinking low flow out of the spray bar.  Maybe a tube is coming loose and leaking, depriving some of the 12 holes of its oil?  I'm not sure you would test besides maybe submerging in something like gasoline then holding it so that all 12 holes drain equally.

Break it down in to sub-systems - oil pump, oil passages, head passage, cam towers, spray bar, etc.  Even check that the the spray bar holes point and will spray/drip the correct way, on to the lobes.  Just because fluid comes out doesn't mean it's getting where it needs to go.  Somebody could have rebrazed your bar after it fell apart and got the holes pointed weird.

9 hours ago, siteunseen said:

The head bolts go through the far left holes in my picture. The cam tower bolts go through the two that are in line with each other. The oil feeds are the smaller holes to the right. Hope you can understand my backwards arse thinking/splainin'. LOL

1496968827774.jpg

The cam tower bolts go through the top left and bottom holes. The head bolts go through the top center holes.

Chuck

• Like 1

Spray bars can "look" good when, in fact, they can be severely restricted with sludge. I soak them in lacquer thinner for 24 hrs, shake it carefully and use compressed air to force everything out. Repeat until the thinner is clean. A torch tip cleaner is useful for removing the crud from the spray holes.

Make sure the front and rear ends aren't bent inward. Both mine were so I'm guessing it's easily done, maybe on vale adjustment?

One more thing to check. See if they will twist in any way. You'll need to get the connections re-brazed.

One or two? more things. Buy gasket material and make your own, much thicker and better to me. I used drill bits to make the holes, small first then go bigger. Cut the gasket sheet to size and and put it against the towers holes then tap around there with the round end of a screwdriver handle to make indentions in the paper then cut and drill the holes exact. Worked for me.

Glue the gaskets into the spaces of the spray bar with Permatex Aviation gasket maker. Let that dry overnight and you are good to go, no worries for years.

7740018_ptx_80019_pri_larg.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

25 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

A paper punch works great for clean holes when making gaskets.

Mark we'd make a good team! I knew or at least had read that probably from you. If he doesn't have a paper punch a brass fitting will work to cut the gasket material also. Good catch, I need somebody that thinks like I do to finish my thoughts. Thank you Sir!

3.8X3.8fitting.jpeg

I'll have to credit my wife with that idea. She saw me struggling to carve round holes with a razor knife. I had every geometric shape except a circle. I got "that look" from her as she suggested that I could pretty up those holes? with a paper punch. I hadn't thought about a brass fitting. I've used small pieces of tubing sharpened on one end in the past too.  

Another thought on gasket making. (cereal boxes are my go to) The tapping with a hammer works very well but if there isn't room to tap, one can put a light coating of grease on the surface. Press the gasket material against the greasy surface. Remove the gasket and trim anything that's not greasy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

I'll have to credit my wife with that idea. She saw me struggling to carve round holes with a razor knife. I had every geometric shape except a circle. I got "that look" from her as she suggested that I could pretty up those holes? with a paper punch. I hadn't thought about a brass fitting. I've used small pieces of tubing sharpened on one end in the past too.  

Another thought on gasket making. (cereal boxes are my go to) The tapping with a hammer works very well but if there isn't room to tap, one can put a light coating of grease on the surface. Press the gasket material against the greasy surface. Remove the gasket and trim anything that's not greasy.

I used blue layout dye on my thermostat housing and top half where the hose goes. :)

Where the hose goes? To the hourly hotels. LOL