IGNORED

Looking for a set of Sumitomo calipers MK63

JLPurcell

Well the answer to the "why would you" is... "Because I have 'A', but what I really need is 'B' and even though I understand that it might not be a financially intelligent solution, and one that some people might consider foolhardy, (if it works) it could get me out of my current bind."  I'm not suggesting it's a financially viable solution. I'm just curious.

About the angled fluid holes... If the angle is the same (mirror imaged) on both halves of the clamshell, then the angle doesn't matter. If you take the same amount of material off both sides, both holes will move the same amount and still line up with eachother in the end. New O-ring counterbore in the new location, and you should be good. And since the O-rings and their counterbores are larger than the fluid holes, they also compensate for some amount of misalignment of the fluid holes. I suspect they utilized that fact in the original design to account for manufacturing tolerances.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

About the angled fluid holes... If the angle is the same (mirror imaged) on both halves of the clamshell, then the angle doesn't matter. If you take the same amount of material off both sides, both holes will move the same amount and still line up with eachother in the end. New O-ring counterbore in the new location, and you should be good. And since the O-rings and their counterbores are larger than the fluid holes, they also compensate for some amount of misalignment of the fluid holes. I suspect they utilized that fact in the original design to account for manufacturing tolerances.

(in bold) That's the point though. The drilling that leads to the bleed nipple is straight, but the other drillings are angled. You'd end up with the angled drilling that leads to the bleed nipple missing it by quite a margin when the halves were re-joined, and the O-ring counterbore not big enough to cover the difference.

Feel free to give it a try though...

• Like 1

When I purchase the NOS MK63 calipers I did not know they were for the vented rotors. Once received and additional parts sourced I am happy as a clam!:D I had a set of the non vented on my race car back in the day and boiled the fluid more than once. Black Hawk Farms was famously hard on brakes. I wish I had a set of vented back in the day, but will have to settle for being lucky enough to have sourced a set now and lucky for having a member who sourced the additional parts in Japan for me.

• Like 1

Jerry inspired me , obtaining vented calipers.

Dimensions are almost same, only the width to the side is different.

Shims and springs are missing, I will collect them gradually.

Wires for the retaining pin caught my eyes, I think this is for quick replacing when at the track. Nismo features?

Kats

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

• Like 1

I like the wires for the retaining pins. I am going to make up a set for my upgrade. Thanks for the pictures Kats. I found that the DORMAN H36866 Brake hose is the replacement part for the original Nissan hose for use for the MK63 Caliper upgrade. They are less than $10.00 each. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

Thank you Jerry, that is a very useful advice , when I need it, I will ask you to get them.

Your vented disc looks so cool, Jerry. That is why I could not stop myself hitting buy button!

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Sorry if i dig out this very old thread, but i have some questions regarding this. I've been trying to figure it out for a few years now but i haven't found anything useful at all...
Maybe Alan @HS30-H has an Idea? Some of the comments quoted below came from you if i remember right...

1) On several places i've read that the Z-specific calipers are called "MK63-20S ", but i wasn't able to find it in any of my documents. It is never mentioned in any of the manuals which includes all the parts manuals, optional/racing/competition/Nismo manuals
nor the FIA Homologation sheets. Not even in the Japanese "Race and rally prep. manual". So i wonder where the "-20S" information bit can be found?

2) Is there at all any MK63 specific documentation? I have many special Service manuals for the transmission, diff, steering rack, Carbs, etc. but is there something similar for the MK63 (or brakes in general)?
Maybe by sumitomo or Nissan or NISMO? I've searched on my own and with the help of some people in japan. but nobody was even aware about such a document. However it seems like something must exist?
The only thing i was able to find is a drawing from the 2007 nismo competition parts catalogue:
nismo-drwaing-1.png

3) I've also read comments that there is an official instruction on how to modify the backing plates / Dust shields to fit the MK63 calipers. Where can i find this information?
The race and rallye preparation manual lists a set of (what i undestand) already modified backing plates to install, which is also described in the manual,
but nowhere i found any information on how to modify it by yourself to fit? Where does one find this information?
Z432-240Z-Race-Rallye-prep-manual.jpg

I have a guesstimate of what the 20S is, but I am know doubt wrong, so I will shut up....but on the cutting of the backing plates, I followed Jerry's pictures, then mocked up my backing plates and calipers to make a template (off the car). I haven't cut them yet, got side tracked.

I could be wrong here, but the MK63 was on quite a few models on Nissans (Prince's?) before the S30 came out, so could it be classed as a "generic" part, which just so happened bolted on, and/or Nissan made provision at design stage?

Interested what Alan has to say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

1) On several places i've read that the Z-specific calipers are called "MK63-20S ", but i wasn't able to find it in any of my documents. It is never mentioned in any of the manuals which includes all the parts manuals, optional/racing/competition/Nismo manuals
nor the FIA Homologation sheets. Not even in the Japanese "Race and rally prep. manual". So i wonder where the "-20S" information bit can be found?

None of the MK63 calipers are "Z-specific". They were specified as Sports & Race Option many Nissan models of the late 60s through late 70s period, and in both vented and solid rotor variants.

The '20S' suffix corresponds with the width of the vented rotor used on the (wide) vented rotor type caliper.

From Nissan factory documentation:

MK63-20S-4.jpg

MK63-20S-1.jpg

MK63-20S-2.jpg

MK63-20S-3.jpg

• Like 3

@HS30-H, Alan - thanks a lot for sharing your excellent knowledge once again. This clarifies a lot.
WIth "Z-specific" i didn't mean a model made for the Z, but the ones (Straight nipple?) used for the Z (and most probably other models), since there were many slightly different versions around.
The race and rallye prep. Manual, for example, mentions that the ones used the C10 Skylines are slightly different, but would also fit, allthough no details about the differences.

Out of curiosity, may i ask what "nissan factory documentation" the one you posted pictures from in the post above exactly is?

Does that manual, by any chance, also have information regaring the backing plates?

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch

1 hour ago, JDMjunkies.ch said:

Out of curiosity, may i ask what "nissan factory documentation" the one you posted pictures from in the post above exactly is?

Two different publications, both factory Competition Preparation manuals for models that are not S30-series Zs.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 5:03 PM, HS30-H said:

Two different publications, both factory Competition Preparation manuals for models that are not S30-series Zs.

Do you mind letting us know what car(s) those "competition prepararation manuals" where made for? I'd really like to learn more about the topic and to find those manuals as it seems to have some interesting details, even if not z-specific...
Thanks again for your help.