IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Started putting the dash back back together.  Did a a little clean-up on the gauges before installation.  Also touched up a some of the chipped and scraped areas on the instruments.  Trying to decide what to do about the non-working clock.  I think I will send the clock out to this guy and get the quartz mechanism so it will last for a while and be accurate.

http://www.zclocks.com/

Although, I am really tempted to try this:

https://hyllest.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/quartz-clock-movement-into-a-240z-clock/

That might be worth my time.  I have a couple other Z's with clocks that don't work, so could be handy.

I installed most of the dash harness and will install the ducts soon.

Oh, 'Just Dashes' covered up three of the holes that that should have been open: The dash light dimmer hole, the emergency flasher switch and the odometer reset.  So, I drilled those open and installed those item.  It was a bit scary drilling into a $1750 dash, but was actually fairly simple as it was just the vinyl I had to go through.

I also need to look into the panel lights.  I am thinking that there is a better option than the original bulbs but not sure.  I will have to look into this more.  Anyway, here are the pics so far

DSCF4896.JPG

DSCF4898.JPG

DSCF4900.JPG

DSCF4902.JPG

DSCF4905.JPG

DSCF4906.JPG

DSCF4911.JPG

DSCF4913.JPG

DSCF4920.JPG

DSCF4924.JPG

Edited by motorman7

I was looking for the speedometer dim spot that haunts my limited nighttime cruises. Everything I found and tried to view I got that upgrade image. It happened so much my anger turned to amusement. I'm sorry CO.

Maybe me and some of the guys that rely on your visuals regularly could start a "go fund me"? I could save empty beer cans and get them back up in a month or two. :)

Have you tried "my attachments" on here yet? I've got close to 90 pages so far.

These look interesting:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1972-nissan-240z-instrument-panel-light-bulb?make=55&model=61&scc_id=1364&year=1972

Says they work with the standard dimmer.  Also, long lasting.  This looks like a good option and could be cheaper than the Motorsport 4 Watt incandescents.

PS: the photobucket images are not coming through.

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

Very nice work on the dash.  If you want to stick with incandescent bulbs for the instruments, consider the Eiko A-72.  It is a 4W bulb that is a perfect fit.  My experience with the MSA offering several years ago was that they were not a good fit unless you were willing to give up the lens over each bulb.  I really like the additional brightness from the Eiko's.

I am leaning towards this one.  It is 25 lumens, in cool white with 90 degree beam angle.  

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-panel-light-bulb/ba9s-led-bulb-4-led-ba9s-retrofit-car-classic-car-bulbs/6/

The Eiko also seems like a good option for incandescent with the 4 Watts.  I am leaning toward the brighter LED with the longer life.  Pricewise, it is just a bit more, but I like the fact that the LED would be longer lasting and maybe a bit brighter.

• Like 1