IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

I had the four 'Steelies' powder-coated a matte black and sprayed the backside silver similar to the factory rims. Also got new Toyo's mounted and balanced.   I loosely placed a hubcap on just to see how everything looks.  Hubcap needs a bit of refreshing and a new coat of paint, but otherwise things look good.  I installed the four tires on the car since this is how we will roll :P.  

DSCF5594.JPG

DSCF5598.JPG

Edited by motorman7

Cleaned up the wiper motor today.  Put a new cover on and replaced the connector housing. I used tie-wraps instead of the plastic rivets.  The original rivets could not be salvaged.  This is one of those things that is not visible on the car, but you know it is there. Installed wiper motor and wiper arm assembly  Also installed the cowl and front valence.  Cleaned and painted the front grill.  Installed that as well.  Pics are below.

DSCF5599.JPG

DSCF5605.JPG

DSCF5608.JPG

DSCF5610.JPG

DSCF5616.JPG

DSCF5617.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joe newsom said:

Where did you locate a new bag ?

The bag was an extra part from my previous build.  As it turns out, the last two cars I purchased were from older gentlemen that were going to restore their Z's but never got around to it.  With both purchases there were a lot of extra parts that the previous owners had bought intending to use for the restoration.  This bag was one of those items.  I thought I saw a vendor selling these, but I can't remember who.  I thought I saw it at Zeddsaver but I just checked there and didn't see it.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:16 PM, joe newsom said:

Where did you locate a new bag ?

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/wiper-motor-cover-for-datsun-240z-260z-280z

Jay has them at JDM but they look a bit odd in the picture.  Interesting texture.

Speaking of JDM, the braided hose came in so I put them in place.  Now I just need the clamps.

Also got the hatch, hatch seals, hatch hinges and hatch latch installed.  Will take hatch pics when I can get some good light.

DSCF5629.JPG

DSCF5630.JPG

These are the clamps (QTY and size) that I ordered off of e-bay for the hose in the engine bay.  Cost was less than $50 for 42 clamps, not bad.  I measured the diameter of each hose using my calipers and ordered clamps that were in the range. 

image.png

Double Wire Hose Clamp Pipe Clip Screw Bolt Tight Fitting Classic Zinc 9-120MM

( 351393130624 )

Clamp Diameter: 25-29Mm

Quantity: 4

ITEM PRICE:

US $4.64

Clamp Diameter: 40-45Mm

Quantity: 6

ITEM PRICE:

US $7.38

Clamp Diameter: 13-16Mm

Quantity: 12

This item has been shipped.

ITEM PRICE:

US $12.60

Clamp Diameter: 28-32Mm

Quantity: 4

ITEM PRICE:

US $4.84

Clamp Diameter: 20-24Mm

Quantity: 10

ITEM PRICE:

US $11.50

Clamp Diameter: 18-22Mm

Quantity: 8

ITEM PRICE:

US $8.88

• Like 1

Here is a (bad) picture of the hatch installed.  Still terrible lighting since I am using a flash at night.  Should be able to get some nice shots this weekend.  I will have the glass in by then.

I got the new wrapped fuel hose and I absolutely love it  :love:.   This is the closest match of the original fuel tubing that I have seen. and looks very nice with the wire clamps.  Pics are below.

Also picking up the fenders tomorrow from the paint shop.  They are now color sanded and polished.

hatch.jpg

DSCF5643.JPG

Apologies for jumping in here so late in the game, but I thought that the OE fuel hoses running from the fuel rail to the float bowls (and from the fuel pump to/from the fuel rail) were not fabric covered.  For the three Z's that I've had my hands on (one '70 and two '72's), these hoses were not fabric-covered.  Of course, hose originality can be tough to nail down because they've so often been replaced during the earlier service life of the car.  Maybe others can comment...

Have a look at this photo of an unrestored Jan. 1971 car.

DSC_0145_zpstpmpcjue.jpg

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that the cloth wrap is the original fuel line.   I use my dad's 1970 240Z as a reference which is for the most part un-restored and has been in the family since day 1 so I know its history.  Also, this thread is a good reference.

Thanks for the pic CanTechZ

Image24.thumb.jpg.0bfb91b4acb58f4c6a9acc7e226eab59.jpg

Edited by motorman7