IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

23 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I thought that strip between the black and orange just in front of the door hinge was weatherstripping but I believe it is just a different color of paint.

Yes, that is the primer that is under the paint.  I will touch that up with orange paint before I put the fenders on.

I did not take out the plastic for the door hardware.  The only concern there would be the part that goes through the center of the plastic.  It seemed to plate well enough.    

The acids won't effect the plastic or rubber.  It will just not plate where the rubber is in direct contact with the metal

Took a short break to visit my mom up in Idaho.  That is always nice since mom always spoils me with great food.  She is almost 79 and still cuts her own wood with a chainsaw.  Pretty impressive.   Now back to the task at hand, and the fun part, assembling the car.  

I had just a little time so I put the rear bumper on the car.   Pics are below.

DSCF5195.JPG

DSCF5197.JPG

DSCF5198.JPG

DSCF5201.JPG

DSCF5204.JPG

DSCF5206.JPG

DSCF5207.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psdenno said:

Looks better than new........and I remember what new looked like when I bought mine in 1971.

Dennis

You are right.  My '70 still has the original single stage paint and it never looked this good.   The '70 even has a few paint runs in the engine compartment and the overall paint has a slight ripple or 'smooth orange peelish' texture to it.  (Not sure what you really call that finish)

I was at the San Marino Motor Classic Car show a couple month ago with my orange '71 240Z and one of the judges commented that he was very impressed that I was able to produce the 'smooth orange peelish' texture of the original Z paint on my car.  Unfortunately, I had to tell him that the texture was actually the result of my mediocre painting skills and not what I was shooting for.   Smooth as glass is what I was trying to achieve.

Installed the passenger side quarter window.  I buffed out the frame on the polishing wheel to give it a nice shine.  You can see the difference in the first and third pics.  The polish takes out some of the very small scratches.  I remembered to paint the  inside frame area satin black before installing the window (I forgot to do this on my '71 and it looks goofy, one of those things I need to go back and fix).  I installed all new weather stripping and new 4mm screws.  It's actually a fairly easy install.

DSCF5209.JPG

DSCF5211.JPG

DSCF5214.JPG

DSCF5217.JPG

DSCF5226.JPG

I installed the drivers side rear window same as the passenger side.  Also polished and installed the rain gutter molding on both sides.

I  installed the hatch weather stripping.  As always, I hate putting in weatherstripping but this was one of the easier installs since the hatch was removed.  I think I will do this on all future hatch weatherstripping, it made the job so much easier.  The other thing I did differently was install the weatherstripping without glue first.  Then I went along foot by foot applying the glue to the installed weatherstripping.  Using the clamps and tape to keep things in place was also a big help.  These work well to keep everything secure and nicely aligned.

Started clean-up and paint on the shock tower components.  I should be able to get those installed today once I  finish a few home items.

DSCF5227.JPG

DSCF5229.JPG

DSCF5230.JPG

DSCF5232.JPG

DSCF5233.JPG

DSCF5235.JPG

DSCF5236.JPG

DSCF5237.JPG

DSCF5239.JPG

DSCF5243.JPG

DSCF5245.JPG

DSCF5247.JPG

Amazing work on your project, I have this topic bookmarked as a reference in case I ever get to a full resto of my car.

Just wondering about the color of the hood hinge torsion bars?  I thought they were black as they can be seen though the grill.

DSCF5187.JPG