IGNORED

Fuel rail alternative on a 1973 240Z?

nahurry

My coated header sends up a lot of heat right onto the fuel rail. I used an infrared thermometer, and it was getting pretty warm at the rail.

I was thinking about fabricating another shield to mount under the rail before trying to fabricate a new fuel rail that goes closer to the carburetors.

Are y'all using radiator shrouds?  I ask because I went for a quick drive between storms and left it running, popped the hood.  I have a full plastic shroud off a 280 and it blows air between the thermostat housing and the distributor across the header runners, pushing the heat back and away.  I can only imagine how it flows when I'm driving but they do have a nice opening in the front.

That's how mine seems to stay cooler?  Just an idea I thought I could mention but I honestly don't know if it's a hard restart or a running problem you guys are having.  Best of luck anyway. 

• 6 years later...

Hey @siteunseen. This is an old thread that I came across while doing some research on my '72 Z and saw the photo you posted with the chrome air cleaner that has "DATSUN" embossed on it. Just wanted to ask where you bought it from. I can't find anything like it using Google. 

4 hours ago, 268Z said:

Hey @siteunseen. This is an old thread that I came across while doing some research on my '72 Z and saw the photo you posted with the chrome air cleaner that has "DATSUN" embossed on it. Just wanted to ask where you bought it from. I can't find anything like it using Google. 

That's not my motor, I used the image to show the fuel rail to a guy that was having "vapor lock" symptoms on his 240.

It looks like a K & N that was engraved with Datsun to me. There's no telling where it came from or how old it is. The zstore or zcardepot could have sold it? You might find one on ebay. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I can look around tomorrow when I'm home with my laptop. Cliff

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my fuel rail. Man it has been a long time since I have revisited my favorite Z board.  Miss you guys.  Still have the Z and roadster. Z has been giving me grief, I need to write a whole new story on my self-inflicted wounds and catch up with you fine folks. 

SD

240 Z engine bay.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1