IGNORED

Factory Service Manual - 1970

Namerow

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever found or acquired a downloadable version of the 1970 FSM?  The '71 manual is widely available (albeit not a very good-quality scan and pretty fuzzy in places) and is perhaps identical in content, but I've yet to see the 1970 version anywhere.

Thanks, Mike.  I already have this and thought it to be the 1971 FSM.  Hard to tell because the person who scanned it didn't scan the cover.  Is this, in fact, the first Z FSM, issued for the 70 Z and then held over as also applicable to the 71?  Or is it the 71 FSM, with a scanned version of the 70 FSM still n/available?

There's something on eBay that might be worth a shot.  $11.  Who knows.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/datsun-240z-manual

Here's some Carl Beck comments but they're a bit confusing.  Literally, they say that 70 was two volumes, 71 was one volume, and 72 was two volumes then one.  Not sure that's what he meant though.  Also, it looks like the front cover doesn't have a year on it anyway.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/Books/FactoryManuals.html

I have two printings of the 1970 service manuals.  They are two volumes.  One is devoted to chassis and body.  The other L20A, and L24 series engine.  They are punched for a three-ringed binder and the cover paper is pebble textured.  The Chassis and Body volume is yellow and the Engine volume is green.  One printing (010240) is issue date 1 November 1969 and the other (020030) is issue date 15 August 1970.  Both sets are printed in Japan publication No. SM0E-0S30G0.

I also have a single volume 1970 manual.  It is yellow, smooth texture covers, and not punched for a binder.  It is on the shelf at the shop however, and I don't have publication numbers for it.  I used to have the 1971 manual illustrated on Beck's site.  Kind of an orange color.  I sold it a long time ago.

10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

There's something on eBay that might be worth a shot.  $11.  Who knows.

Thanks.  I had a look and discovered that this seller is offering CD's of the manual, rather than print copies (I should have known, given the asking price).

10 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Here's some Carl Beck comments but they're a bit confusing.

They're both informative and confusing, aren't they?

I can certainly see the incentive for a service department wanting separate volumes.  I single-bound Body/Chassis + Engine manual must have weighed 5 pounds!  Throw in the Electrical/Dash/Instruments supplement and you've got a substantial amount of paper on your hands.

18 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

If you are looking for a certain page or small section I could make better quality scans from my hard copy.

Thanks for the offer.  I get by with my downloaded 'Blue' version.  Where a photo is too fuzzy to make out details, I find that in many cases the very same photo or diagram appears in the '72 FSM.  I've got the British Autopress and Haynes manuals for backup.   My reason for bringing up the subject is just that the 'collector' in me has always wondered why a '1970' FSM has never seemed to be available.

37 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

I have two printings of the 1970 service manuals.  They are two volumes.  One is devoted to chassis and body.  The other L20A, and L24 series engine.  They are punched for a three-ringed binder and the cover paper is pebble textured.  The Chassis and Body volume is yellow and the Engine volume is green.  One printing (010240) is issue date 1 November 1969 and the other (020030) is issue date 15 August 1970.  Both sets are printed in Japan publication No. SM0E-0S30G0.

I also have a single volume 1970 manual.  It is yellow, smooth texture covers, and not punched for a binder.  It is on the shelf at the shop however, and I don't have publication numbers for it.  I used to have the 1971 manual illustrated on Beck's site.  Kind of an orange color.  I sold it a long time ago.

So now we have the answer!  Thanks for the details, 26th-Z.  If you have extra time on your hands, post a photo.  I'd love to see this manual, just for the sake of posterity.

4 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Just wondering if you have noticed any/many differences between the 1NOV69 and 15AUG70 printings?

Hi, I think there will be no differences between early and 1971. Just picture quality of 1969 is better than 1971 , 

And just for your interest, Flat rate schedule and Collision estimate are attached. 

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats

19 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

over the next few weeks I will create a higher res copy to upload for those who are interested.

Thanks, CanTechZ.  That scan quality is excellent.  So much better than the version that's currently available.  If you're able to find the time to scan and upload the entire manual, all of us CZCC members will be in your debt.

BTW, how did you acquire your copy?  e-Bay?  Dealership connections?