IGNORED

Shifting problem

1972 240z manual.  Having a problem moving shift lever into reverse.  Just drove car cross country, about 2500 miles.  When I started, shifting into all gears was fine, smooth and easy.  Near the end shifting into reverse was very hard, and it still is.  No grinding, just moving the shift lever into reverse is very stiff and takes quite a bit of force.  Any help will be appreciated.  Don't know if this is a linkage or transmission problem.

I would remove the console then the rubber boot around the shifter.  Lube everything down in that area where the shifter's ball end fits into that plastic cup.  If that doesn't help you might could replace the worn out pin bushings with bronze.  here's some stuff to look at/read over.  Good luck!

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html

The area where the shifter goes into the transmission that needs to be lubed up.  If that plastic cup on the shifter's end is worn out it won't allow the shifter to push the shift rods into position.

Image result for 240z shifter bushing

onesidein2.jpg

31 minutes ago, sweatybetty said:

site, is there some sort of rubber boot that seals that hole?

Yes.  Here's the outer boot, under the leather,

1.jpg

Then the one that covers the transmission hole,

3.jpg

Thanks Blue for the pictures!  I'm glad the Tech Tips are available again, makes illustrating things much easier. :beer:

If you do have to remove the console take you're time, they crack easy around the choke lever slot.  

Remove the screws on the sides then the ones in the rear console part.  There's two electrical connections you'll need to unplug to the left of the radio.  One is the choke light and the other is the defrost and seat belt lights.  When you get the screws out lift it from the rear and remove the screws holding the choke lever from underneath, 2 I think.  Oh yeah you'll need a small screwdriver to get the choke handle off, very small like a jeweler's screwdriver.

I didn't know and went to pulling and yanking (giggity) and broke my choke holder.  Once you get those things unhooked, lift it up from the rear and pull it out towards the back of the car.  It's easy just take your time.

When I first got my Z from the original owner it had a hard time going into reverse, also. I readjusted the clutch pedal to floor measurement to the factory settings and the problem went away. It was just a small amount of distance to the firewall/floorboard off, but it made all the difference. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike

I read somewhere that our manual transmissions do not have a synchro on the reverse gear and yes its always been difficult for my cars as well.  Like cbuczesk mentioned; putting the car into a gear with a synchro (all the forward gears) sync's all the gear speeds, then shifting into reverse is easy.