IGNORED

Drivers side fiberglass headlight bucket

JSM

The mounting studs on the fiberglass headlight scoops are very easy to replace if missing.  A machine screw with the proper metric thread is about 20 cents at your local Ace Hardware, Lowes, or Home Depot.  File down two sides of the screw head to make a "T" so it doesn't spin in the hole and epoxy in place.  A bucket without studs is usually easier to find and far less expensive than one with studs intact.  I've fixed a few - quick and easy.

Dennis

Haven't posted in some time but saw this post about a drivers side fiberglass head light bucket and i'm curious. My 1970 has one while the passenger side is metal. Is this an original set-up or indicate past damage.........? What say you, you most educated z guys. 

2 hours ago, sweatybetty said:

my january 72 has the original fiberglass buckets

Are they fiberglass or FRP? After doing some research it looks like they may have switched to metal during the 1972 model run. My 72 has metal buckets. My 72 race car has a left metal and had a right FRP bucket until a BMW hit it. The parts microfiche should show the date of the change. Anybody have the fiche handy?

Chuck

The FRP headlight case 63115 (and 63116) - E4100 was applied to models up to 6/72 and steel (63115 and 6) - N3000 thereafter.  After all the reading I have done, I have concluded that "FRP" (which stands for fiberglass reinforced plastic) and "fiberglass" are one in the same term.  I have seen aftermarket "fiberglass" reproductions and they are obviously fiberglass matt with exposed weave.  Original cases were manufactured using the same process as molded stadium seats.  FRP was chosen as the material for reason of weight and complexity in shaping the case in metal at that time.